You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-10 12:59:11

liuexp

Something wrong with beamer or impressive?

Hi!
Impressive used to work some time ago(about a week ago or so),
and today I got a message like:
Welcome to Impressive version 0.10.3
/usr/bin/xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Detected screen size: 1366x768 pixels
Warning: The input file `abc.pdf' could not be analyzed.
The presentation doesn't have any pages, quitting.

Furthermore, I can still use it with some pdfs that's compiled long time ago, but when I recompiled it now I'll once again get the message above.

#2 2011-05-10 19:10:32

miguecosa

Re: Something wrong with beamer or impressive?

Hi, I guess i don't have a solution  for you, but I can tell you that you are not alone. In mi case some pdf's work, others don't.
With jpg files it allways work, but I have to disable fullscreen with the -f switch, otherwise the behaviour is erratic: sometimes it works, sometimes not (all I get is a black screen)

I think there are two problems:

1) Impressive fails to read some pdf files (results in a message like the following):

Warning: The input file `TDT-en-LINUX.pdf' could not be analyzed.
The presentation doesn't have any pages, quitting.

2) There are difficulties with fullscreen mode (gives something like this):

/usr/bin/xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Detected screen size: 1680x1050 pixels

The second problem might be related to window manager (in mi case dwm), because a run some tests in twm and it seemed to work.

I hope that someone has a solution, it's a shame to have such a great piece of software working so badly.

#3 2011-05-11 04:37:41

liuexp

To miguecosa:
Thanks.
I think I might have temporarily sovled the problem.

I editted /etc/texmf/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.conf
and replaced
"V 5" to "V 4"

and it seems to work for now.

#4 2012-05-04 22:25:59

myle

I have the same problem. Any solution? Is it safe to make the suggested change?

I hope I didn't violate any rule of the forum since impressive version has not changed for a while.

#5 2012-05-04 22:56:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Solution here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109995

"Necrobumping" is ill advised, though I can understand the motivation if this was your problem.  Searching is, in contrast advised and might have turned up the other linked thread which has a solution.

EDIT: as of recent texliv-bin update setting the pdf minor version is no longer required and this problem should be resolved.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-07 20:57:08)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-05-01 04:34:06

joon

I'm not using arch, but in both openSUSE and Windows cases this problem seems to be caused by a bug in pdftk. Specifically, 1.45 version has this bug. If you downgrade pdftk to 1.44, the problem should go away. (Verified in both openSUSE and Windows)

#7 2013-05-01 04:51:48

Scimmia
Fellow

seriously joon, Trilby said in the last post of this thread (nearly a year ago) that you shouldn't necrobump, so you necrobump this thread?

#8 2013-05-01 05:42:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Scimmia wrote:

seriously joon, Trilby said in the last post of this thread (nearly a year ago) that you shouldn't necrobump, so you necrobump this thread?

Generally that's the case, but in this case he's not looking for additional help, just posting a supposed solution (not using any of the software involved I can't comment).

In any case, I'll just close this thread as non-useful anymore.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer