You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-29 20:55:56

novica
Member
Registered: 2013-04-29
Posts: 5

Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

Hello,

I have a Huawei E398 GSM Modem running on the latest Arch linux.

Kernel 3.8.10, modemmanager 0.7.990-4, usb_modeswitch  1.2.5-1, usbutils 006-1.

The device was working properly until couple of days ago when I last used it. Now it doesn't show in KDE network manager applet.

This is the dmesg for the device:

[ 2005.964063] usb 5-1: new high-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
[ 2006.099008] scsi18 : usb-storage 5-1:1.0
[ 2006.099362] scsi19 : usb-storage 5-1:1.1
[ 2006.752860] usb 5-1: USB disconnect, device number 12
[ 2013.652081] usb 5-1: new high-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci
[ 2013.787085] option 5-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[ 2013.787348] usb 5-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 2013.789213] usb 5-1: MAC-Address: 58:2c:80:13:92:63
[ 2013.789618] cdc_ncm 5-1:1.1 wwan0: register 'cdc_ncm' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1, Mobile Broadband Network Device, 58:2c:80:13:92:63
[ 2013.789734] option 5-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[ 2013.789890] usb 5-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[ 2013.790048] option 5-1:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[ 2013.790206] usb 5-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
[ 2013.790526] scsi20 : usb-storage 5-1:1.4
[ 2013.790907] scsi21 : usb-storage 5-1:1.5
[ 2014.789086] scsi 20:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HUAWEI   Mass Storage     2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 2014.789367] scsi 21:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HUAWEI   SD Storage       2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 2014.794166] sd 21:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

This is lsusb output:

Bus 005 Device 013: ID 12d1:1506 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard

There is this warning in output from journalctl -b:

NetworkManager[196]: <warn> error poking ModemManager: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.

Thanks for any help.

Offline

#2 2013-04-30 20:35:51

Neky
Member
Registered: 2010-05-18
Posts: 38

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

Same problem here with ZTE USB modem.

Offline

#3 2013-05-01 08:46:04

the12chairs
Member
Registered: 2013-05-01
Posts: 3

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

Having same problem on 3.8.8

Offline

#4 2013-05-01 09:28:53

nomis
Member
Registered: 2013-05-01
Posts: 2

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

I had very similar or maybe the same problem.

My error was:

localhost dbus[324]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.

I enabled ModemManager.service

systemctl enable ModemManager.service

and started it

systemctl start ModemManager.service

That solved the problem.

Offline

#5 2013-05-01 14:00:30

damjan
Member
Registered: 2006-05-30
Posts: 313

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

So one hypothesis would be that ModemManager is no longer automatically started by it's dbus object name?

Offline

#6 2013-05-04 12:25:11

heliofrota
Member
Registered: 2013-05-04
Posts: 2

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

+1 same problem

nomis i will try start ModemManager via systemctl. thanks for share.

Offline

#7 2013-05-04 13:02:29

heliofrota
Member
Registered: 2013-05-04
Posts: 2

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

Hi

nomis this solved my problem too.

Thanks

Offline

#8 2013-05-24 15:07:46

stozi
Member
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 147

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

[Removed]

Last edited by stozi (2013-05-24 19:43:55)

Offline

#9 2013-06-07 16:17:08

nomis
Member
Registered: 2013-05-01
Posts: 2

Re: Latest Arch Linux & Huawei E398 GSM Modem

I think today's update solved the issue. I've now disabled ModemManager.service and everything works fine.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB