You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-02 01:37:33

Ryan

[SOLVED] Arch Linux install "Breaks Graphics"

Hi. Very strange problem here.

I have an HP TC1100. Everything seems to work fine. Currently it has MInt installed. I have tried running other Linux distribution live CDs. No problems.

When I have tried the two last Arch ISOs the graphics literally breaks when the kernel is loaded. I see a bunch of lines. It then takes the computer several hours to gradually recover. The breakage remains afterwards. The graphics gradually comes back. Once completely resolved, the computer is fine and all other Linux versions, installs etc start OK.

Last edited by Ryan (2013-05-15 17:12:58)

#2 2013-05-02 01:45:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux install "Breaks Graphics"

Provide details please. What GC? What does 'gradually recover' mean? What does 'break' look like (photo/screenshot)?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2013-05-02 01:53:17

Ryan

Hi. The graphics card is Geforce4 420 Go 32M. The minute the kernel is loaded I suddenly see rainnbows of vertical lines. Often this stays after running the Arch CD. It's all patchy and gradually disappears. I'm running the CD from the disk drive in the dock that the TC1100 fits in. I might try a USB CD drive but I've tried other CDs from the dock drive and no problems. Obviously this is rather worrying because it's impacting hardware in some way. I thought there might be a hardware fault but this doesn't seem to be the case as it's working fine in all other circumstances.

#4 2013-05-02 01:55:35

progandy

Just to be clear, are these your steps?
- Any live cd works
- You boot arch cd
- you get graphics errors
- you shut down
- you boot another livecd
- still graphics errors, but a bit better than before

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2013-05-02 02:10:25

Ryan

That's more or less what happens except I haven't rebooted from another CD and seen the problem but that's just because the problem had cured by the time I did that. If still there it would most likely be seen no matter what I do. The screen malfunctions at base level. I see the colours the minute the computer is turned back on. It slowly clears and becomes patchy until evetually it's all clear. As long as I stay away from attempting to boot from the Arch CD all seems well.

#6 2013-05-02 02:12:30

progandy

Maybe try to add "video=vesa:off vga=normal" to your kernel parameters. Maybe your nvidia card doesn't like the framebuffer drivers.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2013-05-02 02:13:10

Ryan

Where can I find older Arch ISOs to test? I've tried two recent versions. Unfortuanetly I only have an older 64 bit CD since my main desktop is 64 bit Arch.

#8 2013-05-02 02:16:52

Ryan

progandy wrote:

Maybe try to add "video=vesa:off vga=normal" to your kernel parameters. Maybe your nvidia card doesn't like the framebuffer drivers.

OK. I guess it could be something like that. Maybe it would be best to have another go with an older Arch even if hassles with updating things?

#9 2013-05-02 04:22:25

Ryan

progandy,

It must be something along the lines of what you say.

Archlinux-2012.10.6 works fine.

I should be able to use this without too many problems.

#10 2013-05-06 15:48:24

Ryan

I've been able to install Arch from that older image but obviously I still have the problem.

I have tried "video=vesa:off vga=normal" but that doesn't work. I can change the res etc and see that happen as well but at one point when the kernel loads the graphics just completely breaks.

#11 2013-05-07 23:02:34

Ryan

There is no way to use Arch on this computer. I don't know why. Graphics is utterly broken. I've got to go back to Mint.

#12 2013-05-07 23:14:28

opt1mus
Website

This is a shame, if Mint works; I'm confident that Arch will too, it'd just take time narrowing down what's causing the corrupted display. Though I do understand that sometimes we just need a working OS from the get-go.

#13 2013-05-07 23:31:15

Ryan

That's the problem because it's difficult to get anywhere.

I've got Arch on my main desktop computer which I use for graphics. That's why I use the TC1100. It's still a decent computer to use as portable sketchpad because it has a wacom screen. I'd rather not have to use different distributions especially since I can more easily customise Arch.

The info added to change kernel parameters doesn't seem to make any difference. I've tried a few things. The minute the kernel starts loading it just goes into vertical rainbows. The Archlinux-2012.10.6 does work but of course when I update it's gone again. I thought if at least I got Arch base installed I'd get further with solving the problem but I haven't.

#14 2013-05-07 23:36:09

Gusar

A Gentoo user recently had graphics issues on his TC1000 (OT: Where did you guys get these things? I wouldn't mind having one smile. It's pretty much the only tablet I'd accept). Eventually he found that the 3.4 kernel works. It's not impossible that later kernels have a regression in the nouveau driver, I doubt it gets much testing with old graphics chips. Then, I have issues on an old Shuttle box with an integrated Geforce 4, even with the 3.4 kernel. But in my case I suspect broken hardware, the thing was literally fished out of a dumpster. The Nvidia driver works for me though.

Ryan, did you ever try disabling modesetting? Disabling modesetting is never a solution, but it could tell whether the issue is in the driver or the hardware itself. Trying the Nvidia driver is also an option. You'd need to use the 96xx driver from AUR, and downgrade X to 1.12 (that's the last version supported by the 96xx driver).

Last edited by Gusar (2013-05-07 23:38:07)

#15 2013-05-08 07:31:22

Ryan

Hi. I'll look into that. Obviously this is all hassle because I have to use the CD to access anything on the installed system. I can't use USB stick because that still requires an app on CD to get to the stick.

I've just put an old drive in with Ubuntu 10.10. Works perfect. I have a new 5400 drive that had Mint on it. It seems there are no hardware problems.

Something changed between Archlinux-2012.10.6 and versions released in the last few weeks. I tried two of those and same problem.

This is very frustrating because I've got Arch on my Quad Core i7 desktop machine with SSD system drive and a Cintiq. Now with systemd and it flies. This is the best graphics set up I've ever had. The rolling release allows me to always be able to test latest versions of software. An important thing to do so you can feedback to developers.

I'm testing Photoshop CS6 on the Windows at the moment because I haven't ruled out using it. I was impressed. Best Photoshop yet but to tell you the truth, Krita easily competes with that. It's actually faster and less gittery with brushes.

As for the TC1100. This is amazing computer considering it's age. Dirt cheap to get one as well. It's got a wacom screen so proper pressure sensitivity. I don't necessarily need that to be completely up to date but If I can streamline the system that's a huge benefit. I'll only be using Mypaint on it. TC1100 and Mypaint is fantastic.

Also, I don't need proprietary nvidia drivers. Those are out of date but it does what I want without them.

Last edited by Ryan (2013-05-08 07:31:58)

#16 2013-05-08 17:45:19

Ryan

I just installed the linux-lts kernel. That works fine. All I want is a simple desktop. I've got XFCE and Mypaint installed. It's working fine. Pressure sensivity working etc.

I can say that kernel 3.5.5 works because that's what the Archlinux-2012.10.6 has. I'm not really sure how to add other kernels though as extra choice.

It's more or less what I wanted. Simple set up with quick boot. I don't need all the bloat.

#17 2013-05-15 17:13:23

Ryan

This is fixed with kernel 3.9.2.1. I don't know why but it is so I've marked solved.

Board footer