You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-02 09:32:20

Sharopo

synclient missing flags

I am trying to get 3 finger swiping working on my laptop, and every guide I have been attempting to follow requires 'synclient -m', however, that option doesn't exist for me, and I don't believe that this is intended behavior.

output:
$ synclient -m
synclient: invalid option -- 'm'
Usage: synclient [-h] [-l] [-V] [-?] [var1=value1 [var2=value2] ...]
  -l List current user settings
  -V Print synclient version string and exit
  -? Show this help message
  var=value  Set user parameter 'var' to 'value'.

All the other outputs I've seen show a lot more options than just those 3 or 4, and -h doesn't do anything at all. synclient 1.7.0, Any ideas?

#2 2013-05-02 10:00:02

Raynman

Re: synclient missing flags

Some googling tells me: the monitor option required something called SHMConfig in Xorg, which was off/deprecated for a while and seems to have disappeared completely now, so synclient was updated and -m dropped. You say `synclient -m` is required, but it is probably really some data produced by this monitor that you are after and perhaps you can get it in other ways, but I can't help with that without more googling. One of the commit messages related to the removal of -m mentioned evtest for debugging, though.

-h is typically the short form of --help, but synclient also has -? (which is annoying because you often have to escape ? in your shell). You are also not very clear on what other output you expect. Only thing I can think of is output you get with -l.

Last edited by Raynman (2013-05-02 10:01:42)

#3 2013-05-02 21:03:50

Sharopo

Re: synclient missing flags

I am after the data collected by synclient -m, I am trying to enable 3 finger touchpad gestures.  It looks like evtest would possibly work, but it can't run concurrently with the X server, I have to switch to one of the TTY's in order to use it, and i'm not sure how I would do that.  I think it would involve capturing the touchpad exclusively during 3 finger touches or something.

Board footer