You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-20 21:18:02

Beelzebud

[SOLVED] nvidia-settings taking a long time to load.

I just got an nvidia card yesterday, so I'm not sure if this is regular behavior, but nvidia-settings take about 3-5 minutes to load.   I'm using KDE.   When I try to load it from the terminal I see a bunch of errors like this:

nvidia-settings
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:335: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-normal-c.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:337: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:344: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-prelight-c.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:346: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:353: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-active-c.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:355: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:362: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-insens-c.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:364: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:372: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-normal-sc.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:374: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:381: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-prelight-sc.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:383: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:390: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-active-sc.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:392: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:409: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-normal-se.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:411: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:418: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-prelight-se.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:420: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:427: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-active-se.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:429: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:446: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-normal-e.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:448: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:455: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-prelight-e.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:457: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:464: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-active-e.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:466: Background image options specified without filename
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:473: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Expander/expander-insens-e.png"
/home/beelzebud/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:475: Background image options specified without filename

I searched around for this issue, and found people who had similar problems with Firefox in the past, but I never see anyone who has solved it.  On my setup I don't have this issue with any other app besides nvidia-settings.

Last edited by Beelzebud (2013-05-02 17:13:52)

#2 2013-04-26 13:38:09

narco

Re: [SOLVED] nvidia-settings taking a long time to load.

Hi,
I found this: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=96511 and:

You have probably solved this issue already, but for sake of the next person that comes along; I had a similar problem recently. I have multiple gtk engines installed and they were conflicting. I had to remove the config file ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 because it was overriding the settings I set through the system applet for oxygen-gtk. Once I removed that file everything worked correctly. 

this should resolve the problem related to gtkrc but I have the same problem with nvidia-settings on my system (i use openbox with nvidia drivers 304xx legacy branch, nvidia-settings takes a very long time to load) so it seems related only to nvidia drivers

anyone with this problem?

#3 2013-04-30 21:41:48

Beelzebud

Ok today i noticed that if I delete ~/.nvidia-settings-rc, the UI loads instantly just like it's supposed to.   I started googling around and found that there is indeed a bug in nvidia-settings which has something to do with the way it handles a machine's hostname.   

If I edit ~/.nvidia-settings-rc and delete every line that starts with my hostname, the program loads instantly.   When you close nvidia-settings, it will re-write the file, and the next time you start it, you're back to waiting a long time for the UI to load.   It seems there is nothing that can be done to truly fix this until nvidia fixes the bug that is causing it.

#4 2013-05-02 14:57:49

nazardo

Beelzebud wrote:

Ok today i noticed that if I delete ~/.nvidia-settings-rc, the UI loads instantly just like it's supposed to.   I started googling around and found that there is indeed a bug in nvidia-settings which has something to do with the way it handles a machine's hostname.   

If I edit ~/.nvidia-settings-rc and delete every line that starts with my hostname, the program loads instantly.   When you close nvidia-settings, it will re-write the file, and the next time you start it, you're back to waiting a long time for the UI to load.   It seems there is nothing that can be done to truly fix this until nvidia fixes the bug that is causing it.

Thank you! I had this problem since the latest update.

To avoid having to remove/edit the configuration file, I have added a line in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 myhostname

smile

``Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.''
                                                     -- Oscar Wilde

#5 2013-05-02 17:10:27

Beelzebud

Hey that fixed it for me as well!   Thanks for helping figure this annoying issue out!

Board footer