You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-02 17:58:32

WyoPBS
Website

Xine volume control doesn't work with ATI

I have a bit of an odd setup.  I use one monitor for two computers -- the Dell my company gave me for work, and the Linux box I use for personal computing.  The Dell doesn't support VGA output, so I use the HDMI half of the dual cable from the monitor to the Dell, and the VGA part goes into my Linux box.

The Linux box has a Radeon 6530 onboard video controller which is paired with the Radeon HDMI audio chipset.  In addition, for my podcast and voiceover work I have an external USB audio controller  (Xenyx) with headphones and microphone.

But for watching movies, I don't want to be tied to the headphones; I want sound to come out of the external speakers which are plugged into the onboard audio.  Apparently I can't use the HDMI drivers when I'm not using HDMI video, but aplay -l shows both the "HD-Audio Generic HDMI"  and "HD-Audio Generic ALC662 Analog" devices.

In asound.conf I set the analog device as my default, and it works great -- I can play MP3s, watch videos on Xine or Firefox (flash), edit sound with Audacity, whatever.  The whole setup works exactly as I like except for one annoying glitch: The volume control on Xine doesn't do anything.  In Firefox's flash player I can adjust volume just fine, so I know software controls do work.  But in Xine, I can slide the volume control all the way up or down, mute the speaker icon, etc. and nothing happens.  I have to use the external volume knob on the speakers.  So... annoying, but at least there's a workaround.

This has been true since I got the new computer, going on about a year and a half, so it's not one specific release (I did a full system upgrade this past weekend).

Since it's only a problem in Xine, I have trouble believing it's a hardware or configuration or driver issue, but for whatever it's worth here's my asound.conf:

pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 2
}

ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 2
}

pcm.usb-audio {
	type hw
	card 0
}

ctl.usb-audio {
	type hw
	card 0
}

pcm.hda-intel {
	type hw
	card 2
}

ctl.hda-intel {
	type hw
	card 2
}

ctl.dmixer {
	type hw
	card 2
}

Here's the relevant portion of lspci:

00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3625
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
	Memory at fef44000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [58] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

... and lsmod:

snd_hda_codec_realtek    62279  1 
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     27857  1 
snd_hda_intel          33946  0 
snd_hda_codec         101474  3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_usb_audio         111545  0 
snd_usbmidi_lib        19027  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            18742  1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_seq_device          5180  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_hwdep               6364  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                76892  4 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc          7298  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              18687  1 snd_pcm
snd                    58893  11 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
soundcore               5418  1 snd
usbcore               173007  8 snd_usb_audio,ums_realtek,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,snd_usbmidi_lib,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid

Any thoughts?  Has anyone else seen this?

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Board footer