You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-03 22:30:32

Beelzebud

UUID's changed on the fly... How does this happen?

So today the strangest issue I've ever encountered happened.   I had Dolphin opened, and went to change directories, and it seemed to hang.   I rebooted the machine and it wouldn't boot.  It kept giving me errors saying it couldn't access /dev/sdb4 and could not locate the root partition.   I did everything I could think of, and then on a whim I decided to check out fstab, and that is when my mind wanted to explode.   

Using SystemRescueCD I was able to chroot in to the install.  blkid was spitting out UUID's that did not match the entries in fstab, that have worked fine for months.   

I used nano to correct the UUID's in /etc/fstab, and now the machine boots with no problems at all.    How does this happen?  I thought the entire point of using UUID was that they would never change unless you reformatted the partition?   Nothing changed!   I have no data loss, and it's now working normally, but I'm just at a complete loss to understand how in the hell the UUID numbers just up and decided to change in the middle of a session...

Last edited by Beelzebud (2013-05-03 22:38:03)

#2 2013-05-03 22:56:54

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: UUID's changed on the fly... How does this happen?

Totally random? You didn't change anything?

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2013-05-03 23:00:48

drcouzelis
Website

2ManyDogs wrote:

Totally random? You didn't change anything?

*glaring stare* (You forgot the glaring stare) wink

But seriously, UUID are totally not supposed to change, right? How about updates? Did it happen right after a seemingly normal update?

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-05-03 23:03:22)

#4 2013-05-03 23:10:37

Beelzebud

The only thing that I did was a daily pacman -Syu.   It did grab a kernel update, but that should not tinker with UUID numbers.   And no, as far as the partitions go, I changed *nothing*.   As I said, I'm utterly baffled by this problem.

Last edited by Beelzebud (2013-05-03 23:10:57)

Board footer