You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-04 14:29:48

Dettorer

[SOLVED] Kernel panic at boot: not syncing. No init found.

Hello, I know some people had this problem before but no solution seems to help me.

I'm having this kernel panic at the very beggining of boot (here is a screenshot)

The init= parameter given by grub is correct: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd and I double checked the root= parameter, it is by uuid but I also tried by device name (/dev/sda7) and by label.
Using the output of a new `grub-mkconfig` didn't fix it either.
Here is my grub.cfg

I tried running `mkinitcpio -v -p linux` (I use the 3.8 kernel from core but also tried the 3.9 from testing, same result)
Here is my mkinitcpio.conf and the output of `mkinitcpio -v -p linux`

I checked the filesystems of my / and /boot partitions with badblocks and fsck, no problem from here. (I also tried reformating my swap with mkswap as the second line of kernel panic mention swapper even though I didn't understand that line, I just gave it a try).

I really don't know what to do now, my guess is that the initramfs can't mount the root partition but the root= parameter is correct and everything mount well under a liveCD (this is from where I try to fix it).

I love archlinux and it's community, I just don't know what to do now, thanks in advance for your advice.

EDIT:
Forgot to tell since when this happen.
I was playing Kerbal Space Program yesterday, the game filled up my RAM, my computer was no longer responding (it happens to me a few times a month if I forgot to close firefox before playing for example).
I had to hard shutdown, then on the boot I get this panic.

Last edited by Dettorer (2013-05-07 19:13:49)

#2 2013-05-04 16:28:19

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic at boot: not syncing. No init found.

Can you post the output of # fdisk -l /dev/sda  and of ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid   ??
Also, you should not need an 'init=' clause at all since the great initscripts/systemd schism.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-05-04 16:59:00

Dettorer

Thank you for your answer.
fdisk -l /dev/sda
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Should I care about the other lines mentioning root= ? For the moment I only touch this line :
`    linux    /vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=c54afd90-88a2-4c27-a497-f689f30a5b2c init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd ro  `
(at the end of the first menuentry)

#4 2013-05-04 17:33:11

ewaller
Administrator

I am guessing that sda5 is /boot (It is fairly small)
Also guessing, sda7 is /
Continuing to guess, sda8 is /home.

And the UUID on the command line seems to point to sda7.   I need to think on this some and I need to step out for a little while.  I'll get back to you.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-05-04 17:38:28

Dettorer

Good guess, sorry for not precising smile.
Thanks a lot for helping.

By the way, I edited my first post telling how this happened.

Last edited by Dettorer (2013-05-04 17:47:58)

#6 2013-05-07 19:13:24

Dettorer

Problem solved!
Thanks to the help of the arch-general mailing list (https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail … 33483.html).

In a nutshell: the problem was a missing symlink /lib -> /usr/lib in the initramfs, reinstalling filesystem fixed it.

Thank you for your help!

Board footer