You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-03 05:53:03

desertViking

SMB read / write access to Windows share

Hi,

I have a windows share, mounted as type smbfs  with these options: rw,user

As root, I can read / write OK.

As a user, I can read, but not write.  I've tried all of the group access, but can't find the right one(s).

Am I mounting it correctly, does it appear, or is there something else that I'm missing?

Thx in advance for your advice!

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2005-12-04 16:35:33

desertViking

Re: SMB read / write access to Windows share

I realize that this is a simple generic Linux question, and thank-you in advance for your patience.

What I've got so far is that by adding a uid, a single user can write files to the windows drive.  I also added a group ID, but when mounted, the disk shows that only the user has write access:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 user storage 5 2005-12-04 09:12 temp.dat

Is there a proper smbmount command that will allow the group write access?  This is what I'm using:

smbmount //office/SharedDocs /mnt/test -o rw,uid=1000,gid=storage

All users are members of the "storage" group, but only 1000 has write access.  Without any UID, only "root" can write.

I've been through the smbmount man pages and got this far, but confused about how to finish.  I'd like to move this to fstab so that all users have read / write access.

Thx in advance for any advice you can share.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

Board footer