You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-04 15:20:14

phollox

[SOLVED] No Sound through HDMI port in Intel after power save

Hi,

I build an HTPC with Arch inside. I output the sound into the HDTV through the HDMI port of the motherboard, following the instruction of the archwiki. Both, the audio and the video are from the motherboard (i.e, I don't have external video or audio cards). Everything works very neat, except for one issue. When I have a couple of minutes without moving the mouse, the video goes black, like a screensaver and I also lost the audio. I guess it is a default configuration in a power saving domain, although I don't remember having installed any. Maybe it is a default of the video driver. I'm using the default xf86-video-intel driver, and I have installed the lib32-intel-dri package.

If a move mouse, the video returns normally. The problem is the audio. I guess that it's because I have the audio through the HDMI port. If I move the mouse immediately after the video and audio are gone, both return without problem. But if I leave the system into this power saving mode for a couple of minutes, and then move the mouse, the video goes back, but the system is mute. I try

$ speaker-test -c 2 

, and also

$ aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

and there are no errors. It seems like the sound is being played, but no longer through the HDMI port.

Is there anyway to check where that powersave comes from? Is there any way to disable it, or at least, a way to make sure that the audio is output through the HDMI port after the powersave mode?

If someone is willing to help, and need the output of command or the content of any configuration file, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by phollox (2013-05-09 18:42:38)

I divide by zero, multiple times per day. Also, I don't believe in tipping
Arch + i3wm (still learning)

#2 2013-05-04 20:32:12

ubunchu

Re: [SOLVED] No Sound through HDMI port in Intel after power save

I'm guessing you're using ALSA.
I have no clue but I could give a few hints:
-https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Pops_When_Starting_and_Stopping_Playback
-check dmesg and system log to see if there is any failure related to sound
-try PulseAudio (or others)
Good luck.

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

#3 2013-05-04 22:04:29

phollox

Yes, I'm using ALSA. I didn't wanted to install Pulse Audio, but I guess I should.
I don't have a popping sound, but I'll check
Thanks

#4 2013-05-05 13:42:14

jv2112

Check out the wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

Module-based Powersaving Options

The i915 kernel module allows for configuration via /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf wherein users can define powersavings options. A listing of options is available via the following command:

$ modinfo i915 | grep power

An example /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf:

options i915 i915_enable_rc6=7 i915_enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1

Last edited by jv2112 (2013-05-05 13:43:38)

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. Isaac Asimov - / -

#5 2013-05-09 18:41:59

phollox

Thanks jv2112. I read that article before but skipped that section. I disabled all of those options, and at least, the sound doesn't disappear after the video goes black. I have tried several times, for several hours, and the sound is still there. The video still goes black, but I have my sound. Therefore, I mark this issues as solved.

Thanks,

jv2112 wrote:

Check out the wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

Module-based Powersaving Options

The i915 kernel module allows for configuration via /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf wherein users can define powersavings options. A listing of options is available via the following command:

$ modinfo i915 | grep power

An example /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf:

options i915 i915_enable_rc6=7 i915_enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1

Board footer