You are not logged in.

#576 2013-05-04 23:02:42

Llama
Banned

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

I've got two issues:

(1) Drag'n'drop between panes turns unavailable now and then, for reasons I cannot fathom. Copy/paste works always. Could be a feature, for all I know, but I don't have a clue.

(2) While starting an app on clicking a file, SpaceFM shows signs of some unnecessary background activity ('hourglass' icon for 20 seconds or so). Probably some 'Tasks' option, but I can't figure out which.

#577 2013-05-05 10:23:49

J.

How does SpaceFM detect file type?  It seems to be different from `file -i'/`xdg-open'.  For example, `echo aoeu > file.png' causes SpaceFM to think I've created an `image/png'.

#578 2013-05-20 15:42:01

mjo

IgnorantGuru wrote:

3)does SpaceFM have a filter/quickfilter mode? i cant seem to see anything in the menu/options.

No filters yet.

Id really like to see that implemented aswell, any news regarding quickfilter?

#579 2013-07-21 09:34:24

raavas

I am having issues with unmounting USB sticks from SpaceFM.
The error reads as follows:

Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address (polkit-error-quark, 0)
Error unmounting /dev/sdb1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.NotAuthorizedCanObtain: Not authorized to perform operation

Unmounting from terminal works without problems.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

#580 2013-07-21 10:15:56

Paramvir
Website

mjo wrote:
IgnorantGuru wrote:

3)does SpaceFM have a filter/quickfilter mode? i cant seem to see anything in the menu/options.

No filters yet.

Id really like to see that implemented as well, any news regarding quickfilter?

For Filters::
Well - if you right click on the file list and select Edit - you get Select by Pattern - which works like a filter - you get a selection of files basis a pattern you would have given for a filter operation. OK - it will not hide other files but you get the job done.

If you want that filter or selection of pattern to go across multiple directories or drives - you can use File menu - File search.

For Renaming multiple files / directories::
For renaming of multiple files AND directories - if you have Thunar file manager installed you can create a menu [ using design mode ] and use /usr/bin/thunar --bulk-rename %N and you can do magic.

cheers

#581 2013-07-21 10:28:08

Paramvir
Website

raavas wrote:

I am having issues with unmounting USB sticks from SpaceFM.
The error reads as follows:

Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address (polkit-error-quark, 0)
Error unmounting /dev/sdb1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.NotAuthorizedCanObtain: Not authorized to perform operation

Unmounting from terminal works without problems.
Any ideas what is going wrong?

Can you check which terminal you have specified in Spacefm preferences / advanced. Are you able to open a terminal by pressing F4 function key ?

Also do you have udevil installed - it is in the community.

Built-in udev support - can be used with udevil (a mount tool designed specifically for SpaceFM), pmount, udisks, or your custom mount solution * 

Also please visit the Spacefm User's Manual - you get your answer there - the above 2 should solve your issues.

cheers

#582 2013-07-21 17:36:52

raavas

Thanks for your response. Terminal works fine, I can launch it by pressing F4 - I am using xfce4-terminal.

The weird thing is that I was able to unmount the sticks without issues earlier, this is a recent development. However, I'll give udevil a go and report back on its performance.

Cheers

EDIT: it now works fine with udevil, thanks a lot!

Last edited by raavas (2013-07-21 17:39:35)

#583 2013-07-27 16:02:54

xorgx3

Is anywhere some configuration file? I would like set my terminal (lilyterm), but it don't appear in menu.

#584 2013-07-27 16:09:43

kaszak696

xorgx3 wrote:

Is anywhere some configuration file? I would like set my terminal (lilyterm), but it don't appear in menu.

View > Preferences > Advanced tab > Terminal field. That's where i see it.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#585 2013-07-27 16:51:27

xorgx3

Yes, this way i know. Here is many another terminals, but there is no lilyterm. This is reason to find some configuration file to set this manually.

#586 2013-07-27 17:05:03

Paramvir
Website

xorgx3 wrote:

Yes, this way i know. Here is many another terminals, but there is no lilyterm. This is reason to find some configuration file to set this manually.

A work around for that would be to make a link to lilyterm in /usr/bin and call it say terminal - you can then select terminal as an option and it will launch your terminal lilyterm - but first check to see if you have anything named terminal - by typing it in your terminal window.

cheers

#587 2013-07-27 17:18:42

kaszak696

xorgx3 wrote:

You can put the lilyterm in there, it's a textbox, just select it and write whatever you want...

Last edited by kaszak696 (2013-07-27 17:19:04)

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#588 2013-07-27 18:39:14

xorgx3

oops, you're right. I'm a moron. THANKS.

#589 2013-10-22 17:15:54

IgnorantGuru
Website

Greetings.  As there hasn't been activity lately I wanted to let all know that SpaceFM 0.9.0 has been released.

Also, I don't do much forum support anymore, but please feel free to add an issue to the tracker if you can't resolve something.  Thanks to others here answering questions - really helps me out.

A few answers to some things I saw above:

Llama wrote:

I've got two issues:

(1) Drag'n'drop between panes turns unavailable now and then, for reasons I cannot fathom. Copy/paste works always. Could be a feature, for all I know, but I don't have a clue.

I don't have any explanation for this.  I would first suspect it might be a theme problem or something else at the GTK level.  No similar reports.

(2) While starting an app on clicking a file, SpaceFM shows signs of some unnecessary background activity ('hourglass' icon for 20 seconds or so). Probably some 'Tasks' option, but I can't figure out which.

One person who had problems with Tasks being delayed (a second copy task starting) reported it went away when he upgraded his kernel.  ???  No option would affect that, but you can run spacefm in a terminal to see some debug output.

J. wrote:

How does SpaceFM detect file type?  It seems to be different from `file -i'/`xdg-open'.  For example, `echo aoeu > file.png' causes SpaceFM to think I've created an `image/png'.

Some reading on this here.  Other programs do vary in this, using DE-specific libraries, etc.  You can also set custom openers (apps or commands) in SpaceFM 0.9.0 with the new Use as open for, passing MIME for specific types or based on browser context.

Also, xdg-open is a freedesktop program so you would think it would follow the freedesktop standard or be authoritative, but it does not and is not.  And the standards themselves are really a mess at this point.

If you want to see how png is defined as read by SpaceFM, right click on a png file, enter the Open submenu, and right-click on one of the apps listed.  Enter the /usr submenu and click on the png.xml file.  You can also modify a copy of that file by clicking on the png.xml (*new) file in the parent menu, thus modifying how it's defined.  There are some examples in the file SpaceFM creates.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2013-10-22 17:36:11)

#590 2013-10-23 09:30:25

fabertawe

Great to see you back, hope all's well and thanks for the update smile

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#591 2013-10-24 08:03:05

J.

IgnorantGuru wrote:

One person who had problems with Tasks being delayed (a second copy task starting) reported it went away when he upgraded his kernel.  ???  No option would affect that, but you can run spacefm in a terminal to see some debug output.

I think what's meant by this is when you open a file, and the program it's set to open with never shows a window (maybe it crashes, maybe it's not meant to).  In this case, SpaceFM seems to show a mouse pointer that indicates that some sort of background loading is going on, even if the program already exited.

#592 2013-11-06 10:29:52

lilive

IgnorantGuru, this file manager is awesome !
I really enjoy it, thank you so much.

#593 2013-11-07 23:11:31

IgnorantGuru
Website

Thanks lilive, glad to hear it.

SpaceFM 0.9.1 is now available and introduces a new panel memory which should improve the handling when turning panels on and off on the fly.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2013-11-07 23:12:02)

#594 2013-11-08 15:23:55

fabertawe

IgnorantGuru wrote:

SpaceFM 0.9.1 is now available and introduces a new panel memory which should improve the handling when turning panels on and off on the fly.

Oh that is excellent. It's the only niggle I had with SpaceFM, so now it's perfect big_smile

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#595 2013-11-11 15:36:32

IgnorantGuru
Website

J. wrote:
IgnorantGuru wrote:

I think what's meant by this is when you open a file, and the program it's set to open with never shows a window (maybe it crashes, maybe it's not meant to).  In this case, SpaceFM seems to show a mouse pointer that indicates that some sort of background loading is going on, even if the program already exited.

I can't reproduce this.  If you have an example .desktop file that produces this please open an issue on the tracker and provide that - thanks.  Also show me the complete output of spacefm --version.

#596 2013-11-13 20:06:18

J.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is caused by the window manager/desktop environment.  I can reproduce it with http://sprunge.us/AIIH - but I don't believe it's a SpaceFM bug, and it doesn't bother me anyway, so I'm not going to open an issue.

#597 2013-11-23 21:02:14

naphelge

would it be possible to have spacefm --desktop configure different themes for each of the desktops. So, for example, if one has four desktops available they can specify different desktop icons (crucial/necessary), wallpaper and even mouse pointer icons (superfluous but would be desireable). I realize performance would take a hit switching themes on the fly between desktops, but it is still something I need.

OP in this post:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=26612

seems to have exhausted the possibilities available for such a scenario using pcmanfm to manage the desktop, coming close but concluding it is not possible. I too would like to find a solution for this remaining with openbox and #!, hoping i might be doable with spacefm.

I have tried iDesk and it does not seem to support different desktop icons for different desktops. I need still to check out Roxfiler and nautilus, but I am really resistant ot going back to nautilus if I do not have to. I will actually check out kde I think before nautilus, but I would really like to stay with openbox.

Any other suggestions for possible solutions would be appreciated reading.

#598 2013-11-23 21:17:01

Rasi
Website

naphelge wrote:

would it be possible to have spacefm --desktop configure different themes for each of the desktops. So, for example, if one has four desktops available they can specify different desktop icons (crucial/necessary), wallpaper and even mouse pointer icons (superfluous but would be desireable). I realize performance would take a hit switching themes on the fly between desktops, but it is still something I need.

OP in this post:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=26612

seems to have exhausted the possibilities available for such a scenario using pcmanfm to manage the desktop, coming close but concluding it is not possible. I too would like to find a solution for this remaining with openbox and #!, hoping i might be doable with spacefm.

I have tried iDesk and it does not seem to support different desktop icons for different desktops. I need still to check out Roxfiler and nautilus, but I am really resistant ot going back to nautilus if I do not have to. I will actually check out kde I think before nautilus, but I would really like to stay with openbox.

Any other suggestions for possible solutions would be appreciated reading.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=102890

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#599 2013-11-24 01:25:49

socials

naphelge wrote:

All I could think of while reading that, is why? What purpose would that have? If you have many people using the same computer, why not create multiple users?

#600 2013-11-24 04:38:12

naphelge

All I could think of while reading that, is why? What purpose would that have? If you have many people using the same computer, why not create multiple users?

Not that I feel like I need to justify my reasons, especially since the feature called "activities" in kde4 is praised by users I have read about while searching for a solution, but let me go ahead try to enlighten your dull imagination:

I am setting up an older pc for my toddler-daughter that I started with a crunchbang-openbox install. Things are just about there except because the icons I created for her are ~150px, only 4 or 5 per desktop looks reasonable. Anymore and its cluttered and distracting. So I decided it would be a good idea to split the apps up into categories like "art," "letters and words," "numbers," "multimedia," etc., each on a separate desktop she can easily see and click on. I thought it would be a simple step of enabling a few setting to achieve such a goal (assigning particular app icons to different virt. desktops) but I am quickly realizing otherwise.

So now I am sort of stuck between either reducing the icon size so they all fit comforably on a single dektop, which in my humble opinion does no shout out at a toddle to "click me! "click me!" like the big icons I want to use; or running kde4, and even kde4 with openbox wm runs so damn slow on this older box it is really not an option like I was hoping it might be. So I just thought I might inquire, since spacefm is a fork of pcmanfm and is actively developed, if any such feature is available or possible.

How does that suffice for a "purpose"?

Last edited by naphelge (2013-11-24 04:53:53)

Board footer