You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-21 23:30:06

yurilebbie

XFCE main panel partially freezing

I randomly have issues with my one XFCE panel where it freezes in the sense that I cannot interact with it and feezes most of what is on there. However, my CPU moniter, network status, Spotify icon, and action button still work perfectly in it.

The rest of the desktop also works completely fine, alt-tabbing being the only way to change between windows though.

Screenshot:

shown

Original:

original

This can be solved by killing xfce-desktop and restarting it, however I wish that I could make this not happen anymore.

If there are some logs that I could post that would show something, please say which ones would be the ones to look at and post.

Thanks

Edit:

Now anything that was not responding is now blank in the panel

And the reason why I posted this in the Arch forums, is that this issue I have only gotten with xfce on arch, as I have friends that are using Ubuntu and they do not have this issue at all

Last edited by yurilebbie (2013-02-22 00:47:01)

#2 2013-03-18 17:56:17

andrepiske

Re: XFCE main panel partially freezing

Interesting. I have the same problem, exactly as yurilebbie described. Arch Linux 64 bits, Kernel 3.7.10, XFCE 4.10.

#3 2013-03-18 18:10:42

alphaniner

Clearing ~/.cache/sessions is always a good place to start with xfce/xfwm issues. I doubt the Thunar-* files are relevant, but I rename the folder (when X isn't running) and make a new empty one.

If that fails, try removing stuff from the panel one-by-one...

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-04-26 19:32:32

Erep

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I don't know if that's relevant, but I notice that you're using the xfce greybird theme. I used the bluebird theme before (not the git one) and I had no problem at all. Issues started occuring with greybird (git).

#5 2013-05-01 01:39:15

phuijse

Hello

I also have the same problem and I also have the greybird theme installed. In my case I can reproduce the crash by playing a youtube video on my firefox.  I tried running the xfce4-panel with the debug flags, but I could not get any information related to the crash. 

Most notably, after changing back to plain clearlooks the problem disappeared!

#6 2013-05-03 03:35:31

luolimao

Yeah, it might be the theme; I use blackbird, and not only do I have to kill/restart the panel, but if I do it immediately, it will freeze again; I ended up having to write something like this to introduce a delay between the kills and starting it up again.

#!/bin/sh

echo -n "\"Killing\"..."
pkill xfce4-panel
echo "done."
echo -n "Actually killing..."
read -sn1 "$@"
pkill -9 xfce4-panel
echo "done."
echo -n "Starting..."
read -sn1 "$@"
xfce4-panel &
echo "done."

And yeah, I do have to call kill twice (first with SIGTERM then SIGKILL); if I only use SIGTERM, then it won't start up, and if I only use SIGKILL, then it restarts instantly, and freezes instantly also. So hacky, egh. I didn't even consider the possibility of it being a theme issue. I use blackbird, but it's based off of greybird if I remember correctly.

Last edited by luolimao (2013-05-03 03:36:58)

#7 2013-05-05 21:17:40

luolimao

Well, if it is the theme, I've updated all the shimmer project PKGBUILDs. Let me know if the problem still exists (I haven't seen it on my machine).

Board footer