You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-06 09:58:55

surrealistic

Install Arch Linux with UEFI system and Windows 8

Hi! I'm trying install Arch Linux in my laptop with UEFI system and Windows 8. I got it a few months ago but don't remember how I did it. I have the lastest ISO 05/01/2013 and install reading Wiki, but when reboot system after install Arch Linux don't appear GRUB, only boot Windows 8, I had to use Ubuntu 13.04 because I need use laptop for studies but dont appear GRUB, in Ubuntu case boot Ubuntu automatically. Can anyone help me with Aruch Linux and GRUB UEFI installation?

Thanks and regards! smile

#2 2013-05-07 17:47:05

madr

Re: Install Arch Linux with UEFI system and Windows 8

Let me see if I have understood you correct. You want to multi-boot Win8, Arch and Ubuntu? Or just Win8 and Arch? Or none of them?

#3 2013-05-08 07:09:38

surrealistic

Hi! i want multi-boot just Windows 8 and  Arch Linux, now I'm using Ubuntu because I can install Ubuntu without problem in my laptop with UEFI, but I want just Windows 8 and Arch Linux multi-boot but when I try to install Arch Linux, Arch Linux not run and GRUB not appear, laptop boot with Windows8.

#4 2013-05-08 15:23:03

madr

Are you loading through Grub, or through the Win boot-loader? Have you had a look at the wiki dual-boot sections for Grub and Win boot-loader?

#5 2013-05-08 16:17:33

srs5694
Website

Do you have Secure Boot enabled? Arch doesn't (yet) officially and easily support Secure Boot; if Secure Boot is enabled and you try to boot a standard Arch installer, I'd expect the computer would skip the installer and go on to the next item in the boot list, which is what you describe happening. You can disable Secure Boot from your firmware's setup utility, but details vary greatly from one system to another, so I can't be more precise. Alternatively, you could create a custom Secure Boot-enabled Arch installer, but that will require learning a fair amount to get it to work.

#6 2013-05-09 07:13:40

surrealistic

madr wrote:

Are you loading through Grub, or through the Win boot-loader? Have you had a look at the wiki dual-boot sections for Grub and Win boot-loader?

I'm loading through Windows 8 because don't recognizes Arch Linux GRUB or something. I install Arch Linux without problems but when I reboot to start Arch Linux loading through windows 8 or a DVD/CD, I reboot and press F12 to choose which OS charged and just show Windows 8 UEFI boot and boot from CD/DVD. Now I'm using Ubuntu 13.04, this boot automatically without show GRUB, to boot with Windows 8 I have to press F12 and choose boot from Windows 8 UEFI boot, but I want install Arch Linux (I used Arch Linux so far and I prefer it). I followed Arch Linux Wiki for installation.

srs5694 wrote:

Do you have Secure Boot enabled? Arch doesn't (yet) officially and easily support Secure Boot; if Secure Boot is enabled and you try to boot a standard Arch installer, I'd expect the computer would skip the installer and go on to the next item in the boot list, which is what you describe happening. You can disable Secure Boot from your firmware's setup utility, but details vary greatly from one system to another, so I can't be more precise. Alternatively, you could create a custom Secure Boot-enabled Arch installer, but that will require learning a fair amount to get it to work.

I have Secure Boot disabled, I installed Arch Linux in this laptop but I don't remember how I did it and now I can't install it.

#7 2013-05-09 08:13:16

progandy

Did you forget to add an entry for arch linux?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … using_UEFI

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#8 2013-05-09 14:33:58

srs5694
Website

It sounds like you either did not run efibootmgr to create an NVRAM entry for Arch, as progandy suggests; or you installed Arch in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode rather than in EFI mode. Either way, the solution is to (re-)install an EFI-mode boot loader, as described on the page to which progandy has linked.

If you continue to have problems, I recommend running the Boot Info Script from an emergency disc or working installation, preferably booted in EFI mode. Post the RESULTS.txt file that it produces here, either as a link or in code tags. That file will contain technical details that will help clarify some of the things about which we're currently guessing.

Board footer