You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-08 22:28:13

gay

A hint regarding applications failing with: "Bus error (core dumped)"

This happens to me sometimes, for the solution see at the end of this posting after the description of the error.

From GUI
I try to start an application (it might be that this only concerns gtk applications such as evince & gthumb but I don't know). The application does not start, instead I am told by my GUI (e17) 'XXXX (the application) stopped running unexpectedly. There was no error message. This error log will be saved as /home/...'. This error message matches the various joke error messages concocted by Microsoft in unhelpfulness. The log is not saved.

From Terminal
I try to start it from the terminal. The terminal tells me 'Bus error (core dumped)'. Nothing more. I could not find any coredump - though the journalctl log does at least know about this: "May 09 02:03:07 xxxxxx systemd-coredump[9439]: Process 9436 (XXXX) dumped core." Running the application with strace is also not very helpful, though it hints that it all has to do with dconf: "open("/etc/dconf/profile/user", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) (...) open("/home/xxxxx/.config/dconf/user", O_RDONLY) = 11"

Google searches etc.
Not helpful. But then again: who is going to talk about google any more in just a couple of years.

Solution
remove /home/<username>/.config/dconf/user
you might want to back it up somewhere; I have no idea what this file is and if you still might need it (guess not, but anyway).
It's not a regular file or directory, not a link and not a node. In the list command (ls) it appears like a regular file but you can't read from it (gives I/O error). Google: not helpful. Man page of dconf: self referential ('dconf - Simple tool for manipulating a dconf database') So my best guess is that dconf somehow is used to produce something that is involved in (hardware?) BUS handling which it chooses to store in ~/.config/dconf/ and which is not trivially understandable by simple minds like me.

We are exactly the people our parents always warned us about.

#2 2013-05-08 22:56:10

Raynman

Re: A hint regarding applications failing with: "Bus error (core dumped)"

It should be a regular (but binary) file; there is something wrong on your system (but I can't tell you what it is).

man page is not self-referential btw. You looked at the man page for the command-line tool dconf, which refers to the storage system dconf (see `man 7 dconf`).

#3 2013-05-15 22:31:35

gay

Re: A hint regarding applications failing with: "Bus error (core dumped)"

thanks, Raynman, for the reply.

you are right, dconf 7 is more enlightening.

and you were also right that there is something wrong with my fs. I don't know what but and I didn't yet have the time to try to find out what but since last weekend, I get ata0 (my harddisk, I guess) I/O errors thrown into the tty ... which is not very good.

the ~/.config/dconf/user is recreated after you delete it. now I have it as a normal file, partly binary, partly ascii, again.

We are exactly the people our parents always warned us about.

Board footer