You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-09 15:36:47

byronarn

Suggestions for using Openbox without a taskbar?

Last time I was using Arch Linux, I saw someone recommend using Openbox without a taskbar. Shortly after I switched to Fedora 18 at the insistence of a friend, and used that for a while. I am now coming back to Arch+Openbox (As I always find myself doing, it seems like). I don't remember the user who suggested Openbox without a taskbar, but I wanna give it a try.

So I assume all the functions that the taskbar used to provide must now be provided in other ways. The biggest (keeping track of time) I have taken care of by using Conky and using [Windows + d] to show the Desktop. I also tied the root menu to [Windows + z], so that I can call it up any time I need it.

Are there any other recommendations to make my life easier as I use this setup?

Thanks!
Byron

Edit: Changed the subject to clarify what I am looking for. From Openbox without taskbar? to Suggestions for using Openbox without a taskbar?

Last edited by byronarn (2013-05-09 16:17:24)

#2 2013-05-09 15:53:51

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Suggestions for using Openbox without a taskbar?

Interesting problem, because Openbox does not have a default task bar.  Somehow you have installed one and caused it to autostart.  Do you remember which taskbar you installed?

I have another thought, and please be honest.  Any chance we are dealing with a Linux distribution that is an Arch derivative?  That would explain how things are installed and configured without your being aware of them.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-05-09 16:14:11

byronarn

ewaller wrote:

Interesting problem, because Openbox does not have a default task bar.  Somehow you have installed one and caused it to autostart.  Do you remember which taskbar you installed?

I have another thought, and please be honest.  Any chance we are dealing with a Linux distribution that is an Arch derivative?  That would explain how things are installed and configured without your being aware of them.

Uhmmm... Did you read the OP? I am not having troubles with Openbox not having a taskbar. Rather, I am giving Openbox without a taskbar a try. Usually the first thing almost any Openbox user does is install a taskbar (tint2, fbpanel, lxpanel, etc.), but I wanna give an ultra-minimalistic desktop a try. I was just asking for hints on how to make the most out of it.

#4 2013-05-09 16:19:58

drcouzelis
Website

I, too, use Openbox without a taskbar. I hate taskbars. tongue

You can see my desktop here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1263467

I use conky for all status information. Right click on the desktop for the application menu, and left click on the desktop to see running applications. "Minimizing" an application simply makes the window disappear until I select it from the left click desktop menu.

I purposefully avoid applications that require a tray, although I had a brief stint with stalonetray.

And that's pretty much it! I have the entire screen to work with, and my two application menus are (almost) always under my mouse. I did create a single pixel "border" at the top of my screen, so that I always have a way to access my desktop menus even when a window is maximized.

EDIT: I change my volume with the knob on my speakers, and rarely use alsamixer.

...also, I have no idea what ewaller is talking about. I think he might be crazy. *I think he's been looking at a bit too much Perl code*

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-05-09 16:23:26)

#5 2013-05-09 16:24:10

ewaller
Administrator

byronarn wrote:

Uhmmm... Did you read the OP? I am not having troubles with Openbox not having a taskbar. Rather, I am giving Openbox without a taskbar a try. Usually the first thing almost any Openbox user does is install a taskbar (tint2, fbpanel, lxpanel, etc.), but I wanna give an ultra-minimalistic desktop a try. I was just asking for hints on how to make the most out of it.

*Facepalm* I read it; I just did not comprehend it.  Apparently, I need much more coffee.    My apologies.

Given that, I like keybindings.  I bind them to things like gmrun, or to custom scripts that handle things such as volume control, mpc commands, and screen brightness.

Also, I use Stalonetray in autohide mode in the upper left corner of my display.  Also, be aware that even if the entire desktop is obscured, one can still right click the  left edge of the display to get the pop-up obmenu.  I also bind one of my keys to toggle show desktop so I can see my conky output..

I also like to keep tilda running so I can always quickly pop a console on top of everything with a keystroke, and hide it the same way.

Here is hoping my suggestions balance out my transgressions.  Again, sorry about that.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2013-05-09 16:25:44

ewaller
Administrator

drcouzelis wrote:

I think he might be crazy. *I think he's been looking at a bit too much Perl code*

I can *guarantee* it is not Perl code.  Python or c++, perhaps; never Perl tongue

---

#7 2013-05-09 16:31:39

byronarn

ewaller wrote:

*Facepalm* I read it; I just did not comprehend it.  Apparently, I need much more coffee.    My apologies.

Given that, I like keybindings.  I bind them to things like gmrun, or to custom scripts that handle things such as volume control, mpc commands, and screen brightness.

Also, I use Stalonetray in autohide mode in the upper left corner of my display.  Also, be aware that even if the entire desktop is obscured, one can still right click the  left edge of the display to get the pop-up obmenu.  I also bind one of my keys to toggle show desktop so I can see my conky output..

I also like to keep tilda running so I can always quickly pop a console on top of everything with a keystroke, and hide it the same way.

Here is hoping my suggestions balance out my transgressions.  Again, sorry about that.

Its no problem. It happens to all of us at times! :-) Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into stalonetray. :-)

#8 2013-05-09 16:37:24

byronarn

drcouzelis wrote:

I, too, use Openbox without a taskbar. I hate taskbars. tongue

You can see my desktop here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1263467

I use conky for all status information. Right click on the desktop for the application menu, and left click on the desktop to see running applications. "Minimizing" an application simply makes the window disappear until I select it from the left click desktop menu.

I purposefully avoid applications that require a tray, although I had a brief stint with stalonetray.

And that's pretty much it! I have the entire screen to work with, and my two application menus are (almost) always under my mouse. I did create a single pixel "border" at the top of my screen, so that I always have a way to access my desktop menus even when a window is maximized.

EDIT: I change my volume with the knob on my speakers, and rarely use alsamixer.

...also, I have no idea what ewaller is talking about. I think he might be crazy. *I think he's been looking at a bit too much Perl code*

The left-click menu is a great idea! Can you give me the rc.xml code needed to do that? Not the whole file, obviously, just the snippet that does that.It woud be much appreciated! :-)

As for the one pixel "border" I just added it! Although its to the left, and not the top.

#9 2013-05-09 18:04:47

drcouzelis
Website

byronarn wrote:

The left-click menu is a great idea! Can you give me the rc.xml code needed to do that?

Nah, you don't need me. You already have it in you "rc.xml" file. The default Openbox config assigns it to the middle click. I just moved it to left click because I don't want to be clicking my mouse wheel all day. smile

Also, like ewaller, I had stalonetray autohide. But watch out for something that always used to drive me CRAZY: the location of stalonetray on the screen (for example, the upper left corner) is an Openbox setting, not a stalonetray setting. tongue

#10 2013-05-09 19:25:46

anonymous_user

BTW heres some similar though much older threads:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42886
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58725

It might give some ideas.

#11 2013-05-10 00:04:37

thisoldman

Haven't had a panel for about 3 years, just a conky clock.  Keyboard shortcuts send apps to fixed positions, giving me tiling.  Instead of minimizing an app, I just send it to a different desktop.

[Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread! is at
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=93126/

#12 2013-05-10 10:12:19

Reded

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=142931

My thread that I started a long time ago and has a fantastically hacked-together solution for a system tray. I still use it to this day and it works great big_smile

My other suggestions (I know you said you already do some of these)

I also use a large amount if dmenu scripts, and one of themr is a 'taskbar' of sorts (Displays open windows and switches to them)

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

Board footer