You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-25 18:22:59

JohnnyWho

Has anybody tried exherbo?

I have been digging around exherbo website, and from what I have read, an exherbo system looks saner than, say, gentoo (albeit more complicated than arch). But has anybody tried exherbo, and, if so, what are your impressions? I am really curious about this distro, I my even install it alongside arch, but haven `t managed to find reviews or something about it, so post anything relevant (yes, I have noticed a similar old thread but didn `t want to necro-bump).

#2 2013-04-25 21:05:27

flipper T

Re: Has anybody tried exherbo?

So, you understand that necro bumping is bad, but think it is ok to ask about another distro here.....interesting.

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#3 2013-04-25 21:34:32

alphaniner

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. AFAIK the only rules regarding other distros are no support and no maligning.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-04-26 01:06:17

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Yes, I have tried to install exherbo. I was not successful. I have two Gentoo installs (one on testing and one stable) and also have CRUX (both 2.8 and 3.0) running well. I was even able to install and update Sourcemage, so I think I almost know what I'm doing. IMO, exherbo is not "saner" than Gentoo. Gentoo has an awesome wiki, and an excellent and helpful forum. Exherbo has neither. I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is, but if you want to learn more about Linux, and want to run a source-based distro, I would recommend either Gentoo or CRUX before exherbo. Once you can successfully install and maintain CRUX and Gentoo, you might be able to install and maintain exherbo.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2013-04-26 01:13:00)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#5 2013-04-26 02:14:20

Anonymo
Website

#6 2013-04-26 11:42:11

JohnnyWho

Well, I might give it a shot when I have the time. However, my short experience on Gentoo showed that portage was somewhat slow while doing dependency resolution or searching. So I suppose I would like to run gentoo with paludis. But if I am into using paludis, why not use exherbo, a paludis-only distro? As far as CRUX is concerned, I have looked to it for some time, but I cannot see how it is better than Arch with abs+srcpac....
(And, yes, my ultimate goal is to be nerdier and geekier than anyone else, so that I can emparass people on not knowing so much as I do lol :-) :-P)

#7 2013-05-09 16:27:21

carukia

I'd never heard of it until now but I'll take a look. smile

#8 2013-06-19 10:58:06

JohnnyWho

Sorry for bringing up this kinda old thread, but after finishing school exams, I manged to set up exherbo quite successfully, albeit with a lot of reading and a lot of learning. It took me 2 days just to get the kernel right, and some issues remain to be resolved, but the whole system seems consistent and innovative, and is now my favorite distro alongside arch!

Board footer