You are not logged in.

#276 2012-06-30 11:25:50

OK100

Re: sxiv - Simple image viewer written in C

Unia wrote:

Is it correct the slideshow option has been removed? I was going through the manpage to edit the shortcuts to match with those I changed in config.h and I came across the slideshow ones. I don't have these in my config.h though and also the files on GitHub don't show anything about it. I'm using the git version.

https://github.com/muennich/sxiv/commit … 4080337487

#277 2012-06-30 11:40:02

Unia
Website

Okidoki, thanks! big_smile

The manpage should be updated, though.

Last edited by Unia (2012-06-30 11:40:18)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#278 2013-04-01 09:32:16

LuX

Hello

I do enjoy to discover such a great, user friendly and vim-like image viewer. It's brilliant!
Many thanks for that.

Shall I post here some features wishes ? Well, I hope so...  ;-)

1) Exif information view.
Note: Apparently this is already available in version 1.1, thanks for that, but only 1.0-3 is available at the moment in [Community] thus I haven't tested it yet.

2) Easier customization with .config/sxivrc file instead of config.h.

3) * Last but not least! *
Interactive (that means with file name completion) 'open file' command, like vim's ':edit' or zathura's ':open'.
Ideally, the list of files purposed by the completion of this :open command (or thumnailed when running 'sxiv -t some_directory') should be filtered by some regexp such as '.*(JPG|IMG|...)' which could be set in sxivrc file (think to the case of a directory containing 400 files and only 5 images...).
Keeping a history somewhere would be nice too.

The last feature above is intended to make possible to launch sxiv using dmenu and then open a file (or a list of files matching some regexp), a way of doing that I found extremely convenient in general, hence that I'm missing very much with sxiv at the moment.

Note: Features similar to the above ones are available in most suckless programs such as vim, jumanji, zathura, and so on.

Thanks again,
LuX

Last edited by LuX (2013-04-01 09:39:07)

#279 2013-04-29 04:03:29

brokengestalt

Could someone explain one of the options from the man page to me?

-F           Use size-hints to make the window fixed/floating

What exactly are the size-hints? Is it somethin defined in my WM, or is it another argument I can pass to sxiv?

Last edited by brokengestalt (2013-04-29 04:04:11)

#280 2013-04-29 08:48:59

bloom
Website

brokengestalt wrote:

What exactly are the size-hints?

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spe … l#NORESIZE

gh · da · ds

#281 2013-05-03 21:18:03

C5OK5Y

ber_t: I really like your image viewer but I have one question - is there an obstacle preventing the GIF loop feature from being enabled by default? The majority of GIFs I potentially want to view in sxiv are much better if looped. I'm fairly sure that the GIFs I view aren't any different from GIFs the majority of people find on the internet. I'm sure that having GIF looping enabled by default will benefit more people than having it disabled.

#282 2013-05-05 04:54:14

brokengestalt

Is it much trouble to change it and recompile? (I don't really know if that's a trouble some thing, since I'm pretty new to linux..)

But yes, I also agree that it's a much "saner" default.

#283 2013-05-05 08:29:51

karol
Archivist

brokengestalt wrote:

Is it much trouble to change it and recompile?

No, especially when you've got ABS https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System and AUR https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sxiv-git/

I wanted to ask for the same thing (default to looping gifs), but C5OK5Y was over an hour faster :-)

#284 2013-05-10 18:05:53

Unia
Website

Is it possible to have sxiv always open in recursive mode? E.g. not when I specify it a path, but an image? I would like to open one image in sxiv and then being able to go through all the other images in that directory.

I think there was a script laying around somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#285 2013-05-10 18:19:47

karol
Archivist

Unia wrote:

Is it possible to have sxiv always open in recursive mode? E.g. not when I specify it a path, but an image? I would like to open one image in sxiv and then being able to go through all the other images in that directory.

I think there was a script laying around somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

I'm not sure I understand, this doesn't sound recursive to me.
How do you specify an image? 'sxiv /somewhere/over/the/rainbow.jpg'?
What do you want to happen when you press space? Do you want to go to the first picture in the directory, the next one after 'rainbow.jpg' or ...?
What do you want to happen when you get to the last picture in the directory and pres space?

#286 2013-05-10 18:36:53

Gusar

karol wrote:

I'm not sure I understand, this doesn't sound recursive to me.
How do you specify an image? 'sxiv /somewhere/over/the/rainbow.jpg'?
What do you want to happen when you press space? Do you want to go to the first picture in the directory, the next one after 'rainbow.jpg' or ...?
What do you want to happen when you get to the last picture in the directory and pres space?

To me, the answers to those are completely obvious. Pressing space would go to the next picture. And if you open the last picture in the dir, then it depends on the loop setting - go to the first picture in the dir if the loop setting is on, or do nothing if the setting is off. Note, I'm not familiar with sxiv's feature-set, so I've no idea if it even has such a loop setting.

Basically, that's how every picture viewer I've used behaves.

#287 2013-05-10 18:41:55

karol
Archivist

What's recursive about this behavior?It deals with only one directory as far as I can tell.
Try https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 97#p938997 (just change the location of sxiv binary in the last line).

#288 2013-05-10 19:14:42

Unia
Website

What Gusar says smile IIRC, there was a script that allowed you to open an image from Ranger and sxiv would automatically load the other images in that directory so I can browse through them. Vanilla sxiv does not do that, it either takes a path to an image or, when using -r, a path to a folder with images.

I will try that link in a minute!

#289 2013-05-10 19:19:34

karol
Archivist

#290 2013-05-10 19:23:21

Unia
Website

Damn, how do you find those posts?! Thanks!

#291 2013-05-10 19:33:30

karol
Archivist

Unia wrote:

Damn, how do you find those posts?! Thanks!

It's the first hit for 'ranger' on this page (I use 75 posts per page forum settings) https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1117521

With regard to completely obvious settings, let's say you have 5 pictures in the directory. With the script I linked to (not the ranger one), if you start with the third picture you won't see the first two pictures unless you use backspace - pressing space will take you to the fifth and last picture and stop there.
You can use a similar script that will let you see all the pictures by pressing space: 3 4 5 1 2 and stop at the second picture.
This has nothing to do with looping.

#292 2013-05-10 20:32:04

Unia
Website

I just want the ability to scroll to the next and previous pictures in the directory, even if I called sxiv with the path to only one image. It does not have to loop from the last image to the first or in the other way.

#293 2013-05-11 09:36:02

Unia
Website

Yesterday I patched sxiv with Xft fonts. I also plan on doing more patches and so I made a GitHub repository where you can find these:

https://github.com/Unia/sxiv-patches

#294 2013-05-13 09:25:44

bloom
Website

Unia wrote:

Yesterday I patched sxiv with Xft fonts.

Very nice!

I've created an xft branch based on your patch in my sxiv fork (the sxiv-bskv-git package uses that branch).

gh · da · ds

#295 2013-05-13 09:32:16

Unia
Website

Thanks smile Alot of the code, if not all, I could use from DWM's Xft patch though.

I will look into those branches myself later. Currently I'm also working on adding wallpaper support to sxiv.

#296 2013-05-13 14:39:15

bloom
Website

Unia wrote:

I'm also working on adding wallpaper support to sxiv

You're not happy with imlibsetroot?

gh · da · ds

#297 2013-05-13 17:40:15

Unia
Website

bloom wrote:
Unia wrote:

I'm also working on adding wallpaper support to sxiv

You're not happy with imlibsetroot?

They all suffice, esetroot works too. Just an experiment and well, because I can smile

#298 2013-05-13 20:54:23

Unia
Website

I just pushed a new patch that brings back the slideshow feature that got removed almost a year ago. Find it here: https://github.com/Unia/sxiv-patches/bl … eshow.diff

#299 2013-05-29 23:35:15

brokengestalt

bloom wrote:
brokengestalt wrote:

What exactly are the size-hints?

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spe … l#NORESIZE

OK, so I think I understand the point of the option, but not where/how to set it. I think it's the setting I want, because I wanna do something like this:

1) set a min/max height width for an sxiv window
2) have the image be as big as possible within this min/max, while keeping aspect ratio
3) have sxiv resize window to only be as big as necessary

Not sure if I'm being clear(?) but basically, I want to use sxiv to have an image floating on my screen, and when I navigate to another image, it'll also show that image without the grey border, while also being as large as possible (within my desired bounds)

any way to do this with some or all of sxiv's settings? I imagine some of them will be part of my window manager's task, I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by brokengestalt (2013-05-29 23:35:52)

#300 2013-05-30 09:53:03

bloom
Website

brokengestalt wrote:

1) set a min/max height width for an sxiv window
2) have the image be as big as possible within this min/max, while keeping aspect ratio
3) have sxiv resize window to only be as big as necessary

Any way to do this with some or all of sxiv's settings?

Maybe something along:

sxiv -bdF -g WxH±X±Y

Where WxH is the window size and ±X±Y its offset (see man 7 X for details on geometry specifications).

Last edited by bloom (2013-05-30 09:57:18)

gh · da · ds

Board footer