You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-30 09:35:04

Jindur

Xfce's power settings ignored after last Syu

Since the last system update I noticed that the screen turns off after 10 minutes instead of the 30 minutes set in Applications Menu -> Settings -> Power Manager.
I changed it to 35 minutes just to see if it rewrites some config file that way to fix it, but it didn't have any effect.

#2 2013-05-05 22:04:23

WFV

Re: Xfce's power settings ignored after last Syu

i am having same problem though don't know if it started from an update. Just switched to Arch from Linux Mint last weekend. the VGA shuts off in 5 minutes and ignores the Xfce system power manager settings. I'm running Xfce environment as far as i know ( + a few gnome things ) and zsh instead of bash (son installed zsh, i know next to nothing about the differences between zsh and bash only that there seem to be many). So it appears to be a systemd issue. This is a desktop pc in a private home on a private network that has no real need to turn off the monitor or at least how to configure the duration will be helpful. If it is a systemd function, how do you set systemd to not turn off monitor? Seems that when it turns off monitor, sometimes it seems to stop smbd.service, also teamviewerd.service along with it. I can't find anything in Arch Wiki systemd about this. Thank you people.

Last edited by WFV (2013-05-05 22:06:28)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

#3 2013-05-06 16:05:40

nNa

I have the same problem with Xfce's Power Manager.

#4 2013-05-12 16:22:18

WFV

Open a terminal (this can also be done from Alt F2 and type "xset s off" into window and hit Launch, no quotes)
you@computer ~ % xset s off
this will turn off the screen saver
"xset s on" will turn it on (no quotes)
"xset -q" gives you your display settings, google xset for more info on how to change the screensaver time (xset s off sets it to 0, default is 600 seconds)
check out this link:
http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_turn … ver_script

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

#5 2013-05-18 05:16:47

WFV

bill@Arch-Bill ~ % xset s off

doesn't fix the power manager gui but does turn off the screen saver

bill@Arch-Bill ~ % xset s on

turns it back on

Last edited by WFV (2013-05-18 05:18:21)

#6 2013-05-18 05:27:37

WonderWoofy

Screen blanking is part of a standard referred to as DPMS (Display Power Management Settings).  You have discovered how to change some of the settings in X using the xorg-xset package/tool.  There are also separate settings for the console using setterm.  Though if you are running in X the setterm settings will have no effect and vice-versa.

Rather than search for soemthing like the how-to.wikia.com page you found, try our wiki instead.  It is fill of great info, and is getting better allthe time.

DPMS

Edit: BTW, I see you are new here WFV.  Welcome to the club.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-05-18 05:29:13)

#7 2015-06-11 23:10:02

WFV

WonderWoofy wrote:

Screen blanking is part of a standard referred to as DPMS (Display Power Management Settings).  You have discovered how to change some of the settings in X using the xorg-xset package/tool.  There are also separate settings for the console using setterm.  Though if you are running in X the setterm settings will have no effect and vice-versa.

Rather than search for soemthing like the how-to.wikia.com page you found, try our wiki instead.  It is fill of great info, and is getting better allthe time.

DPMS

Edit: BTW, I see you are new here WFV.  Welcome to the club.

Thank You WonderWoofy, sorry for delay response, but had to revisit this post after recent Syu. Also just over the hill from LG in SJ Valley smile

#8 2015-12-31 04:43:38

WFV

removed

Last edited by WFV (2015-12-31 04:44:30)

Board footer