You are not logged in.

#76 2012-12-21 02:34:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: ScrollWM - floating WM with scrolling workspace (and tiling!)

Oops, that had slipped off the list.  I just took a look and I found a very simple and silly mistake.  I have fixed it on github now, please verify whether this did the trick.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-21 15:23:22)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#77 2012-12-21 14:57:58

bgc1954

Confirmed, setting topbar to False in config.h does indeed give you a bottom bar now.  Thx.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#78 2012-12-21 22:42:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks to Moetune's pointer I was able to make video windows (fullscreened from hulu or youtube for example) go in and out of fullscreen automatically.

This makes scrollwm much better for watching online po... um, videos. wink

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#79 2012-12-23 17:50:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just added an experimental feature "active edges".  This can be enabled/disabled in config.h.  This allows you to drag a window to the screen edge and it will be moved to the next "screen" in that direction.

I'm not really sure if I like this or not, nor whether it will have unintended side effects.  I'm interested in feedback on whether this feature should stay or go.

#80 2012-12-23 20:18:06

bgc1954

For me the "active edges" don't really do anything but make the window flicker.  I'm finding that on my older hardware--1800Mhz AMD 64 bit cpu with geforce 6200 nvidia card--zooming, in general, doesn't add any value as the zooming lags and if I zoom too large everything freezes.  That said, I don't really need a large desktop area or several screens as I only have a couple of windows open at a time.  Scrollwm is fun to play around with and is a descent floating wm but I'll be sticking to tiling and ttwm. wink  Doesn't mean I won't be testing and reporting if need be.

edit: whoa...it seems if I use active edges with firefox--might be other things too, haven't played enough just yet--my bar moves from bottom to top.  I see now...duh, I have to have a couple windows open for active edge to operate, but it gets kind of confusing with windows popping off and on the screen, but it's kinda cool.  Takes me back to the '70's. wink  I likely wouldn't find a use for it, though.

edit2:  It's not the active edge that's moving my bar, it's the mod2+tab that brings up the switcher menu.  I guess that's moving the bar to the top when it displays.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2012-12-23 21:16:23)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#81 2012-12-23 21:18:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

bgc1954 wrote:

the mod2+tab that brings up the switcher menu.  I guess that's moving the bar to the top when it displays.

Ah, yes, it is.  That is a less experimental, but just as 'young' feature that I forgot to have check for the desired bar position.  I should be able to fix that on pretty quick Done.

Your hardware doesn't sound old.  The "animation" for this is not using any cairo or openGL stuff, it's just playing around with xlib.  So I'm not sure it would every really look smooth.  Though I do have one idea that would help ... off to experiment ... and back, that worked well.  I have implemented a new method of smoothing out the motion so the activeedge effects should look (at least a little) better even on older hardware.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-23 21:39:26)

#82 2012-12-25 19:43:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just added optional (and toggleable) dynamic tiling to scrollwm.  Set "autoretile" in config.h if you want it to behave like a tiling wm.  This can also be toggled at runtime with tile("autoretile") which is bound to MOD+r with the default config.

I suspect the next big change in scrollwm will be to make documentation of all these odd things it can do.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-25 19:48:24)

#83 2013-01-01 00:10:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Just made a few minor updates, but also added a new optional feature called "tagpoints".  This is set as a boolean in config.h and defaults to False in which case the behavior is the same as it has been.  But for tagpoints=True, every time you Mod+(n) to switch to a given tag, you'll also be taken to checkpoint (n).  This makes the tags and checkpoints behave much like workspaces in other WMs.  You can still Mod+Alt+(n) to toggle tag assignments from any window, and you can still Mod+C->(n) to move to a checkpoint without changing tags.

#84 2013-01-17 20:12:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just ditched my font-based status icons and built some (optional) icons right into scrollwm.

These are drawn on the status bar (right side) based on input from any program or script passed on scrollwm's command line.  Alternately scrollwm can also read from its stdin.  This input method is the same as it has always been, what is new is a new "command" that is available.

Scrollwm reads lines of input and prints them on the status bar, but braces "{...}" are read as commands,  Colors can be specified as {#RRGGBB}, and the new command is {i X}, that's a small letter i followed by a space then a number.  That number represents one of the icons from icons.h.

Currently I have icons for cpu, memory, several for each of volume, battery, wifi, and mail indicators, and a clock icon.  All icons are printed in the current color which can be selected with {#RRGGBB} codes.  As an example the following line of input would show a red cpu icon, followed by a percentage, then a blue clock icon:

{#FF0000}{i 1} 95% {#0000FF}{i 0}

For a more realistic example, you can see scroller.c in the scrollwm git repo as an example status program - it is what I use.

To use any of these icons, you must uncomment the #include "icons.h" line in config.h (or your own ~/.scrollwm_conf.h).  If you do not include this file, all icon-related code is ignored in conditional compilation blocks.  So if you don't want icons, compiling without include the header file will ensure that there is no cost incurred from me tinkering with this new feature.  Feature creep will only effect those who explicitly enable the features.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-17 20:18:40)

#85 2013-01-18 03:54:12

Onyros

How'd I miss this one? I actually found about it by reading a comment of yours about some making a video for people to understand this WM's paradigm a little better. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't get it at first - coming from a DWM user. wink

I'll test it out and give you some feedback, but I like it already.

Last edited by Onyros (2013-01-18 03:54:37)

#86 2013-01-18 04:18:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks.  Feel free to ask questions, as currently there is no documentation other than this thread (and a close reading of config.h).

#87 2013-01-25 16:27:41

KOMON

Whenever I use the Mod2+Tab keybind, instead of a switcher menu I get booted back to log in. Any idea what's going wrong?

On a different note: I'm loving scrollwm; I use a lot of laptops with broken screens, and the scrolling really helps me to read otherwise obscured areas.

#88 2013-01-25 23:16:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for the praise.  Nothing obvious comes to mind for the crash when opening the switcher menu.  Do you get any error messages on the tty when this happens?  I'll experiment a little to try to replicate such a problem here, but if you can gather any information on when it happens (if there are times it doesn't) that would help.

Also, how do you launch scrollwm (DM, xinitrc, what is the command used?)

#89 2013-01-26 03:22:33

KOMON

I don't get any sort of errors, nothing about Xorg crashing in the log. In fact the blank screen I get is actually the normal tty that shows up before SLiM starts.

I'm currently launching it through SLiM which, according to the wiki, is reading my .xinitrc which is pretty simple, nothing experimental:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice
xcompmgr -c -f -D 5 &
exec scrollwm

The only thing that a little more wiki diving revealed is a problem with zsh and the default slim.conf, but changing the login_cmd line to read properly didn't produce any changes with the switcher (although now my $PATH works right smile )

I did find out that if I login using one of the other ttys scrollwm starts up nicely and the switcher works fine.

#90 2013-01-26 04:31:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for the info.  While I have yet to be able to fully replicate the problem, I did spot something that was very wrong in the the switcher function that lead to a "run-away loop" that might show up as the symptoms you described.  I just pushed the fix for that to git.  Please upgrade to the latest git version and let me know if it is working better.

#91 2013-01-27 23:09:02

KOMON

Awesome! Switcher is running smooth.

Hope you don't mind if I reward your solution with another problem wink

I've noticed that while using cursor focus, scrolling over an area with multiple windows (one or windows stacked on top of each other) will raise all of the windows the cursor is over one after another in quick succession until some kind of input is made. I mostly notice this effect when using a checkpoint or Mod4+Mod2+[directional key].

EDIT: Whoops, I spoke too soon. It seems I misrepresented my problem by accident. Earlier when I reported that the switcher worked fine in a different tty that was mostly based on opening a few urxvt's and trying it out. That goes for just a few moments ago as well, pretty much the same process. But whenever other windows besides a urxvt instance is open, bam, crash, back to SLiM.

Last edited by KOMON (2013-01-27 23:14:54)

#92 2013-01-27 23:14:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

KOMON wrote:

Hope you don't mind if I reward your solution with another problem wink

Not at all.  In fact I appreciate help in finding bugs that have been overlooked in my daily use - like this one.

I'll look into the new issue tomorrow morning.  I already have a hunch on why that happens - the trick will be to figure out how to avoid it without losing an intended function of mouse focus.

#93 2013-01-27 23:20:38

KOMON

Whoops, I was hoping I could edit my post ahead of you, but it looks like I was slow by 14 seconds.

#94 2013-01-27 23:26:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Hmm, ok - one thing at a time then - back to the drawing board on the switcher problem.  Have I mentioned recently how much I loathe display managers.

I just installed slim and am experimenting with this - but I can't replicate the problem.  What application(s) do you have open when the crash happens?

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-28 00:31:57)

#95 2013-01-30 15:33:24

KOMON

Skype, Chrome from the AUR, and a few terminals.

#96 2013-02-01 06:42:54

KOMON

Trilby baby, I think I've figured it out what was up. It was skype that was causing all the ruckus. Whenever skype starts up, the IM window is consistently called "UNNAMED" according to Scrollwm's top bar. It apparently doesn't receive a name, so when I use mod2+tab, it tries to get a name, fails, and crashes.

When this window isn't open, the switcher works perfectly.

#97 2013-02-01 13:15:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That's just what I needed to know.  I found the problem and was able to consistently replicate it (midori also sets no window title) and solve it.  The fix is up on git, let me know if that does it.

#98 2013-02-03 02:45:15

KOMON

That switcher is lookin' pretty bitchin' from where I'm standing Trilster.

#99 2013-05-13 02:27:41

Divakarsd

i get following error then i try to start scrollwm:

=== SCROLLWM ERROR ===
requst=45 error=15
bad name (named color or font does not exist)

startet with:
exec scrollwm
in .xinitrc

#100 2013-05-13 02:57:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm guessing you are using a custom config?  Can you post/link-to it?

If you are not using a custom config, do you have xorg-fonts-misc installed?

Also, note that I haven't done anything with scrollwm in a while, and I don't know how long it will be around - but a majority of it's capabilities are now in Alopex, except for the scrolling itself, and checkpoints.

Board footer