You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-13 01:44:30

ralvez
Website

kernel linux-3.9.2-1 uprade kills all USB ports.

I have an Intel quad core system with the following specs:

Motherboard
       product: P5K-E
       vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
       physical id: 0
       version: Rev 1.xx
       serial: MS1C7AB02D04848
       slot: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
     *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
          version: 0703
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 1984KiB

Video Card Nvidia

VGA compatible controller 
product: G98 [GeForce 8400 GS]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
It has 8 usb ports 4 type 1 and 4 types 2

USB controller
             product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1a
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: uhci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:16 ioport:b800(size=32)

upon rebooting after the upgrade no USB port works. Of course, no keyboard or mouse or anything USB powered works. sad
Rolling back the kernel upgrade restores all ports... clearly kernel is the problem.
I did not find anyone else with a similar problem in the forums so I just posted in case someone turns out witht he same problem eventually.

I think I'll wait for the next kernel upgrade to see if that fixes the problem. roll

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2013-05-13 01:45:47)

#2 2013-05-13 02:36:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: kernel linux-3.9.2-1 uprade kills all USB ports.

I'll wager 1 credit that the kernel modules were out of sync with the kernel.  This can happen a couple ways, but it usually happens when /boot is not mounted when the kernel is upgraded.  In this case, the modules will be updated to the new kernel, but the kernel itself is (on boot) is not updated.  At boot the kernel cannot find "its" modules.

Check to see if boot is mounted, and if not, look to see if there is a kernel at the directory branch that is supposed to be your mount point.

Any way, ensure that boot is mounted, and try to update the kernel again.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-05-13 03:12:47

ralvez
Website

ewaller,

You will forgive me if I do not follwo your logic. As I mentioned I rebooted the machine and it had the kernerl 3.9.2-1 so the boot partition had to be loaded for the machine to reboot.
I then rebooted again and using an installation CD chrooted into my system and removed the kernel and re-loaded the old kernel. Afterword I rebooted again, and once again I had a usable system...so /boot had to be loaded for the system to boot once again.

I then proceeded to do a new installation of the kernel (just in case something had gone wrong the first time) with similar resuts.
Now that's about 4 boots and the system behaved as expected. If /boot was not loading the system would not have booted ...
Or am I missing something?

R.

Edit:

I just tested that boot is mounted and according to this it is:

sdc      8:32   0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sdc1   8:33   0     1M  0 part [SWAP]
├─sdc2   8:34   0     1G  0 part /boot
├─sdc3   8:35   0 731.5G  0 part /
└─sdc4   8:36   0   199G  0 part /home

Last edited by ralvez (2013-05-13 03:22:31)

#4 2013-05-13 03:29:42

ewaller
Administrator

Have you any way of running uname -a when you have the 3.9.2-1 kernel installed?  I realize that may not be possible without a keyboard.  ssh'ing into the box might be a possibility, if the network is up.

I would love to see if the uname command above correlates with the version reported by pacman -Qi linux

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2013-05-14 00:46:34

ralvez
Website

What you said made me think a bit so I run a test of systemd and found this error:

systemd-modules-load.service                                loaded failed failed    Load Kernel Modules

That sure could be at the root of the problem.
The only issue is that if I try to enable  systemd-modules-load.service I get:

The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
using systemctl.
Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
   .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
   a requirement dependency on it.
3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
   D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).

Any ideas?

R.

#6 2013-05-14 03:10:10

ralvez
Website

@ewaller,
OK. I found that a virtualbox kernel module was the reason for the kernel modules not loading.
Tomorrow I'll set this machine to accept SSH connections and I'll give it a try to load the new kernel again.
See what comes out of it.

R,

#7 2013-05-14 03:19:43

ewaller
Administrator

ralvez wrote:

@ewaller,
OK. I found that a virtualbox kernel module was the reason for the kernel modules not loading.
Tomorrow I'll set this machine to accept SSH connections and I'll give it a try to load the new kernel again.
See what comes out of it.

R,

Wow, that is one for the magic trick to pull out of a hat and look like a wizard file big_smile
First time I have ever heard of this one.  I don't start my VBox modules until I am about to use them, and then I do it from a script; probably why I have never seen this.

---

#8 2013-05-15 02:04:50

ralvez
Website

Well ... I have good news and bad news wink
The bad news is that after upgrading the kernel ssh dies in the computer with the problem ... so no keysboard no USB port no SSH sad
The good news (to a degree) is that for a moment I so a very similar error ( upon reboot and after installing the new kernel ) as I found earlier: "Kernel Modules not loaded" or something very similar.

I'm not sure what to make of it because I "resolved the problem" in the running version of the kernel in the same machine but ... it seems that something is yet upsetting it upon a kernel upgrade.

I even removed all the modules the wiki tells you to load when you install virtualbox but no joy.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2013-05-15 02:07:14)

#9 2013-05-17 03:44:44

ralvez
Website

@ewaller,

Well, I've tryied everything I know but no luck. I even removed all the modues for virtualbox, effectivly having to start it at the command prompt to use it, and no joy.
You mentioned earlier that 

I'll wager 1 credit that the kernel modules were out of sync with the kernel.  This can happen a couple ways ...

so, the question is:
What other ways are you aware of for this to happen?
I'll have to explore other options, since the path I was following goes no where. I've upgraded and downgraded so many times in the last few days that I've even made a
downgrade script to get the kernel back to work  smile after I upgrade.

And if anyone out there has an idea ... post.

Thanks.

R.

#10 2013-05-18 14:36:42

sliposk

I noticed you are running a GeForce 8400 GS . I have had this problem with a GeForce 6200 pci card . I had to uninstall the nvidia driver and install nouveau to update kernel , after that I had to reinstall the nvidia driver . I know this is a long shot , however my usb ports now work. good luck .

#11 2013-05-18 15:02:18

ralvez
Website

@sliposk,

Appreciate the post.
It does not seem to be the same problem as yours. Mine was working fine until the latest upgrade.

R.

Board footer