You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-30 00:33:34

rage_311

[SOLVED]Lenovo Ideapad Y500 - Framebuffer and resume from sleep issues

Hi,

I've pretty much exhausted my personal troubleshooting and googling abilities.  I'm pretty stumped with these issues.

I have a new 64-bit Arch install on my Lenovo Ideapad Y500 laptop:
Kernel 3.8.10
KDE 4.10.2
UEFI - using GRUB2
Intel i7-3630QM
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT 650M x2 (SLI) - proprietary 319.12 beta drivers

I can boot into the DE just fine and the laptop seems completely functional.  If I hit Ctrl + Alt + F1(-F6), instead of being presented with a terminal, I get a solid yellow screen.  I'm then able to Ctrl + Alt + F7 to get back to the GUI.  I also get the same yellow screen briefly when shutting down and sleeping/trying to resume from sleep.  Previously, with the latest "stable" Nvidia binary, I would get a black screen when switching to an alternate tty.  When I saw that issue, after some searching, I figured it was related to the video driver, so I upgraded to the beta driver to experiment.  Sporadically, for the first little while after the upgrade to the beta driver, alternate ttys would work just fine.  They inexplicably stopped working some days later.

I've messed around with kernel boot parameters such as: nomodeset, vga=normal, video=efifb; but haven't had any luck.

I also listed the "inability to resume from sleep" issue, since that was working at the same time the ttys were working, but not any more; so they seemed related, somehow.  The laptop sleeps just fine, but waking it ends in a blank screen (seems like the backlight is on).  I can't Ctrl + Alt + Fx to get anywhere, I just have to hold the power button down to shut it off completely.

Where can I go with my troubleshooting from here?

Related logs:
dmesg: dpaste.org/UO2AN
Xorg.0.log: dpaste.org/4M90o
kdm.log: dpaste.org/w3P3R

Please let me know if there are any other pertinent logs or command output information that would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rage_311 (2013-05-19 21:56:47)

#2 2013-05-12 13:57:22

rage_311

Re: [SOLVED]Lenovo Ideapad Y500 - Framebuffer and resume from sleep issues

I wasn't able to get any further with this issue until now -- maybe it's progress?

I've been keeping my eye on both kernel and nvidia driver updates, and they've both seen big updates this week.  Today, I upgraded to kernel 3.9.2 and nvidia 319.17 (stable) drivers.  I no longer have a yellow screen... ever!  However, when I switch to a tty, I get a black screen with a solid cursor in the top left; and it never changes from that.

I did notice something in the nvidia change logs that might be related, but I don't have a deep enough understanding of how all of these things relate to understand if it's entirely relevant... sure seems like it is:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp … river.html
"Added initial support for restoration of efifb consoles on UEFI systems where the primary display is driven over VGA or TMDS (e.g. DVI, HDMI, or LVDS)."

Seems like it's quite relevant to me.  So, is there anything I can do about it in the meantime?  Are there other framebuffers that would work with UEFI?  Is this my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 2013-05-13 07:43:05

picmantonic

Hi rage_311 - I have an iMac (mid-2010, with radeon 4670) booting OSX and Arch, in two ways (grub efi and pure efi).
It may not help you directly with your lenovo + nvidia but I too have an issue with the latest kernel update to 3.9.2.
The previous kernel booted OK (nomodeset required, grub and pure efi), and worked well, apart from being unable to resume after sleep. The resume problem I have reported to launchpad (bug #1024507) and I put it down to the kernel radeon driver selecting the wrong video output port when it is reloaded.

Now, on update to kernel 3.9.2, my arch image will not boot properly using grub efi or pure efi. It quickly switches to black screen during boot, as if the nomodeset option is being ignored by the kernel. Since you have a cursor on screen your nvidia may respond differently from my radeon.
Incidentally I have an arch image running in virtualbox on my mac. That updated to kernel 3.9.2 without issue, but it isn't using nvidia or radeon directly.

Sorry if this doesn't help you but it might confirm there could be a problem with the new kernel.
In my experience with several versions of linux over several years, it's main problem is with buggy and deficient video drivers - so perhaps best to run virtual.

#4 2013-05-15 15:36:39

rage_311

Thanks for your input.  How were you able to determine that the driver was selecting the wrong video output on resume?  Did the image actually get displayed on another port?  Since I have no other leads, it sounds like that's definitely worth a shot for me (hooking a monitor up to my external display ports).  I DO know that the OS is still running to some extent, since I can ssh in from my desktop PC.  Also, I found where the system is logging the sleep/resume messages; or at least how to access them (journalctl), so I'll post some relevant logs when I get home later.

Maybe it's time for me to start a discussion with Nvidia on the virtual terminals issue as well... since it appears that they're trying to address something related with the newest drivers.

#5 2013-05-19 21:54:20

rage_311

Solved...ish.  The up side is that my ttys and resuming from sleep both work now.  The down side is that I had to remove one of the video cards that were in SLI to make it work.

I'll mark the thread as solved, but if anybody has any input on how I might be able to get around this (or even TRY to get around it), I would be very grateful.  I purchased this model especially for the SLI video cards.  Would this put the blame in Nvidia's court?  Is that who I should submit this bug to?

#6 2013-07-17 20:32:00

zacariaz

Well, it isn't really solved, is it?

I'd suggest marking the thread unsolved, as that is actually the case.

I am a philosopher, of sorts, not a troll or an imbecile.
My apologies that this is not always obvious, despite my best efforts.

#7 2013-07-17 21:47:33

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Okay, I'm having the same resume issue; what did you do to fix that problem? It would be very helpful to know.

All the best,

-HG

#8 2013-07-18 12:08:18

zacariaz

HalosGhost wrote:

Okay, I'm having the same resume issue; what did you do to fix that problem? It would be very helpful to know.

All the best,

-HG

He removed the second video card.

#9 2013-07-18 16:59:48

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

zacariaz wrote:

That's it? I don't have the SLI card and I'm still experiencing the failure to resume. The OP made it sound as though there was another step involved.

All the best,

-HG

#10 2013-07-18 20:51:56

zacariaz

HalosGhost wrote:
zacariaz wrote:

That's it? I don't have the SLI card and I'm still experiencing the failure to resume. The OP made it sound as though there was another step involved.

All the best,

-HG

In that case I'd very much like to know also how he did it.

#11 2013-07-24 18:32:46

rage_311

zacariaz wrote:

Well, it isn't really solved, is it?
I'd suggest marking the thread unsolved, as that is actually the case.

Sure it is.  I can now resume from sleep and use virtual terminals.  Those were both of the issues that I was trying to get resolved in this thread.  I've started another thread on Nvidia's forums to get the SLI issue resolved.

HalosGhost wrote:
zacariaz wrote:

All the best,

-HG

Removing the second video card did indeed resolve the issue for me, so it is clearly an nvidia binary/SLI issue for me.  Another workaround that doesn't require physically removing the second video card is to disable SLI in your xorg.conf file by including the line

Option "SLI" "Off"

(I realize that you don't have SLI, so this won't be a fix for you, but I'm including it so that any others with the same issue that are reading this will find the fix.)  I've reported the issue on nvidia's official Linux support forums here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/544549

If you have a similar problem and it is because of the Nvidia binary driver, then you should also report the issue to Nvidia via the same forum.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/98/

#12 2013-07-24 18:40:00

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

rage_311 wrote:

Removing the second video card did indeed resolve the issue for me, so it is clearly an nvidia binary/SLI issue for me.  Another workaround that doesn't require physically removing the second video card is to disable SLI in your xorg.conf file by including the line

Option "SLI" "Off"

(I realize that you don't have SLI, so this won't be a fix for you, but I'm including it so that any others with the same issue that are reading this will find the fix.)  I've reported the issue on nvidia's official Linux support forums here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/544549

Fascinating, I wouldn't have thought it would be that simple. I may very well try adding that option to my nouveau configuration just to see if it might help (I cannot imagine that it will, as you mentioned).

Thanks for posting the solution clearly (if not for me, then for future searchers), though!

All the best,

-HG

#13 2013-07-25 03:18:31

zacariaz

HalosGhost wrote:
rage_311 wrote:

Option "SLI" "Off"

Fascinating, I wouldn't have thought it would be that simple. I may very well try adding that option to my nouveau configuration just to see if it might help (I cannot imagine that it will, as you mentioned).

Thanks for posting the solution clearly (if not for me, then for future searchers), though!

All the best,

-HG

In any case, if you're still experiencing issues, I'd recommend trying out the proprietary nvidia driver.

#14 2013-07-25 16:58:28

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

zacariaz wrote:

In any case, if you're still experiencing issues, I'd recommend trying out the proprietary nvidia driver.

I've had several people recommend that to me, and I'm not inherently against using the proprietary driver, but I've had awful luck with it in the past, so I've been reluctant to try it again.

All the best,

-HG

#15 2013-07-25 19:38:31

zacariaz

HalosGhost wrote:
zacariaz wrote:

I've had several people recommend that to me, and I'm not inherently against using the proprietary driver, but I've had awful luck with it in the past, so I've been reluctant to try it again.

All the best,

-HG

Well, I won't pressure you, but the proprietary is generally better, at least that's what I've come to believe.

Board footer