You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-13 09:01:43

MisterAnderson

CTRL not working in Grub-uefi on MacBook Air

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows how to get the ctrl key to work in grub. I'm on the first 11" macbook air model. At the moment I can't edit grub options then boot because annoying grub 2 requires CTRL-X or F10 to executed a modified boot entry, but neither combo works in grub on this keyboard. They couldn't just let you use Enter or Shift-Enter, which I would have thought would be more logical...

Anyways, at the moment if my grub entry doesn't work I'm booting up a live usb to edit it, but if anyone knows a solution I'd be thankful.

D:

#2 2013-05-13 14:15:43

srs5694
Website

Re: CTRL not working in Grub-uefi on MacBook Air

I don't know the solution within GRUB 2, but have you considered using another boot manager? On a Mac in EFI mode, both gummiboot and rEFInd offer the ability to edit boot options at boot time. I don't recall what gummiboot uses as a keystroke, but with rEFInd, it's F2, Insert, or +, none with modifiers, so it's almost certain you can find something that will work.

#3 2013-05-13 14:40:34

WonderWoofy

@srs5694, I am pretty sure it is 'e' for gummiboot.  When you are done, a simple 'enter' will continue the boot process I think.  I use this all the time, so you would think I might be a bit more sure about it.  I just know that it is nothing crazy, and I am 93.2194% sure it is 'e'... no more, no less.

#4 2013-05-14 09:11:01

MisterAnderson

I've never used EFI before other than my desktop's dodgy hybrid efi on its gigabyte board, using efistub, so I really have no idea what I'm doing with it. I'll look into using rEFInd this time (I had to use it on the boot usb because gummiboot was giving a blank screen). I'm up for a reinstall anyway because my btrfs has died and btrfsck is throwing out a corrupt double-linked list error sad I'll post back what I use in the end.

D:

#5 2013-05-14 11:03:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Could this be a mac-keyboard thing?  Ctrl and that other key (option?) are swapped, and Fn keys are often toggled by default to their alternate media-key use unless pressed with a function-key-toggle.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-05-14 16:05:40

MisterAnderson

Well, yes, it is a mac keyboard thing, but grub 2 doesn't support the function key toggle, or any possible way to input ctrl-x I could think of.

I've worked around it by now using rEFInd. Still not sure how to finish setting it up, but I'll figure it out.

D:

Board footer