You are not logged in.

#676 2013-01-14 11:03:25

lmello

Re: packer - New bash aur+pacman wrapper (replaces poorly written yaourt)

Hi, newbie question - how do I add the 'aur' repository?

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#677 2013-01-14 11:11:58

Miblo
Website

lmello wrote:

Hi, newbie question - how do I add the 'aur' repository?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers

@archun: Intel® Core™ i5-4210M • [GPU] Intel® HD Graphics 4600 • [Kernel] linux-ck-haswell
Handmade.NetworkGitLab
The Life and Times of Miblo del Carpio

#678 2013-01-22 20:33:29

lmello

Ok, now I set my EDITOR='vim' in /etc/bash.bashrc but packer still uses 'vi'... 'echo $EDITOR' pops up 'vim' as output but it's no use... I hate vi!

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#679 2013-03-17 01:58:55

mloskot
Website

sicpsnake wrote:

I am not sure.. Is this a bug I am seeing?

>>> packi chromium-browser-bin
/tmp/packertmp-1001/chromium-browser-bin.PKGBUILD: line 45: msg: command not found
/tmp/packertmp-1001/chromium-browser-bin.PKGBUILD: line 48: msg2: command not found

This is an issue and it has not been handled properly so far.
As there are more and more AUR package using makepkg functions, I opened a ticket https://github.com/keenerd/packer/issues/95

Mateusz Loskot | github | archlinux-config
Arch (x86-64) | ThinkPad T400  | Intel P8600| Intel i915
Arch (x86-64) | ThinkPad W700 | Intel T9600 | NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M

#680 2013-05-14 17:48:23

mutterschiff

Hi,
where would be the right place to throw feature requests at the developer of packer? The github page didn't seem to exist, so I'm posting here in the hope that packer is still in development and the maintainer is reading this.

I'm sure that I'm not the only AUR user who had this issue in the past and is suffering, so here it goes.
Most of the time AUR software is build against some library on the system that is part of the regular system and updates with the normal updates. Some of these librarys are not backwards compatible, which means you have to rebuild all your software against the new version of the library. I'm not aware of any mean to automate this progress with packer - is there any?
It seems natural to me to have the pacman+aur wrapper of my choice do this job, since he could remember all dependencies of the PKGBUILDs he builds and rebuilds all affected packages if a new version of a library comes along

If packer is not in active development any more I would be thankfull for any notions of another aur wrapper who does this

edit: I read only the first post of the thread and saw a linked github after I posted, so I will place a feature request there too

Last edited by mutterschiff (2013-05-14 17:51:11)

Last.Fm
thou shalt not kill -9

#681 2013-05-14 18:01:29

mloskot
Website

mutterschiff wrote:

Hi,
where would be the right place to throw feature requests at the developer of packer? The github page didn't seem to exist

https://github.com/keenerd/packer/issues

Mateusz Loskot | github | archlinux-config
Arch (x86-64) | ThinkPad T400  | Intel P8600| Intel i915
Arch (x86-64) | ThinkPad W700 | Intel T9600 | NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M

#682 2013-05-14 18:03:10

karol
Archivist

Packages in the AUR should be updated, so packer can detect a new version, build and install it.
For devel packages (-git etc.) you can use '--devel' switch.

#683 2013-05-15 12:20:56

Spyhawk

mutterschiff wrote:

I'm sure that I'm not the only AUR user who had this issue in the past and is suffering, so here it goes.
Most of the time AUR software is build against some library on the system that is part of the regular system and updates with the normal updates. Some of these librarys are not backwards compatible, which means you have to rebuild all your software against the new version of the library. I'm not aware of any mean to automate this progress with packer - is there any?
It seems natural to me to have the pacman+aur wrapper of my choice do this job, since he could remember all dependencies of the PKGBUILDs he builds and rebuilds all affected packages if a new version of a library comes along

Interesting idea, but I'd say it is difficult to implement in a non overkill way. Afaik, none of the existing helpers do it. Ideally, the maintainer of each PKGBUILD should increment the pkgrel number at every dependency soname bump, but I guess you can't coun't on that.

On a side note, looking at the gihub repo I'm not sure packer is still maintained. It might be a good time for an avid user to take over the development or fork it. Note that there are already a few existing forks, such as meric.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-05-15 12:22:24)

#684 2015-02-19 14:49:13

Awebb

Is it just me, or... OH MY NECROBUMP!

Is it just me, or did packer drop the --auronly switch in favor of an inclusive --aur switch? How can I interact with aur packages only?

#685 2015-02-19 15:44:05

Spyhawk

The --auronly switch seems to still be present in the code. Also, packer users might be interested in the better maintained apacman fork.

#686 2015-02-19 17:00:26

Awebb

Spyhawk wrote:

The --auronly switch seems to still be present in the code. Also, packer users might be interested in the better maintained apacman fork.

Thank you! Now I have to find out how the output of packer looked like ca. 2011, when appset was last updated. Your comment helped a lot.

#687 2015-02-19 21:33:56

Roken

I've been using packer for all system updates for a long time, although recently on AUR packages it occasionally loses the plot after building to tmp and can't find it to install. It's not a huge probelm,. I can find the built package and install with pacman -U, but it would be nice to see it fixed.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#688 2015-02-20 21:15:45

nbd

Hello, is there someone using packer (or its forks) who also has used pacaur? What are the differences between the two? Pacaur has cower as a dependency for searching and downloading AUR packages and itself is 1.5 - 2 times bigger in code size. Does packer have lesser functionality than pacaur?

bing different

#689 2015-11-08 11:04:24

Zucca

I think Packer has its strenght in simplicity
- no configuration
- very few dependencies

On the other hand pacaur
- is fast

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong when I get an error complaining that I'm not allowed to preserve environment.
I'd guess that's something ralated to sudo and permissions...

K.i.s.s. <3

Board footer