You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-22 01:41:26

contrasutra

problem with Mozilla 1.6 - galeon & epiphany

When trying to go to a website in Galeon or Epiphany (w/ moz 1.6 and new packages) I get this:

relocation error: /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.6/components/libnecko.so: undefined symbol: PR_GetAddrInfoByName

and it doesnt go to the site.

I tried rebuilding (using standard PKGBUILD), and I get the same problem.

I'll wait to file a bug report to see if its a problem with my system.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2004-01-22 04:50:14

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: problem with Mozilla 1.6 - galeon & epiphany

Epiphany and galeon both work on my system with 1.6.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-01-22 09:22:35

Blaasvis

well they work here ..

Freedom is what i love

#4 2004-01-22 09:31:44

dariball
Website

(not posting wheather it works or not)  big_smile

the undefined symbol looks to me like there is some network-library-problem.... are u sure u have the latest iptools and so on?

also i would guess GetAddrInfoByName is not a very new function/symbol so that this maybe could come from a _not_ installed lib depending on it, something really basic. this would also explain why it still won't work after rebuild...

did u ldd the /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.6/components/libnecko.so ??
( would be to easy but maybe gives u a hint where to search )

not so very useful things,sry

nothing,
maybe I have a perfect signature _someday_

#5 2004-01-22 11:32:41

RdsArts

contrasutra wrote:

When trying to go to a website in Galeon or Epiphany (w/ moz 1.6 and new packages) I get this:

relocation error: /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.6/components/libnecko.so: undefined symbol: PR_GetAddrInfoByName

Try cating it.

*drum roll, dodges rotten vegtables*

#6 2004-02-04 00:47:18

Moo-Crumpus

I just installed another fresh archlinux from ftp. I fetched and installed any single packet that is listed on cd's installation list (hoped it was a kind of tasksel, but it is just an ordinary list).
Surprisingly mozilla and its derivates will not work as user, but as root. No eror messages in the terminal.
Strange stuff. The system is not tweaked at all, it is just like package maintainers stuffed it together. Maybe the package misses some parts, and you all have no problem as older mozilla stuff still is available?

All I could do - and that finally fixed it - was:

pacman -c
pacman -Syf mozilla epiphany mozilla-firebird mozilla-thunderbird

Remember, the system was fresh installed. Things like this should not happen. What might be the failure? Finally, packages are still the same as before. The configurations are the same. So what? Might some mirrors store crippled packages?

This is not funny, and statements like "it runs here statements, so the prob is another people's prob" will not help us, and will not bring arch any further, don't you agree?  wink

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2004-02-04 03:31:26

RdsArts

Pink Chick wrote:

Remember, the system was fresh installed. Things like this should not happen. What might be the failure? Finally, packages are still the same as before. The configurations are the same. So what? Might some mirrors store crippled packages?

Is it possible there was a package version bump between the install and the -Syf? If not... Hmm... Maybe the install scripts? (do Moz even have install scripts?) Or a upgrade to pacman/the core system stuff? (not sure if the FTP install pulls anything for the install media)

I know there have been some updates to the base system lately, and I saw some weird behavior when I was doing a clean install a month ago. Before the reboot, things were funky even if you resourced /etc/profile and/or logged back in. Took a reboot to get the base tools working again = Maybe it's just pre-0.6 weirdness?

#8 2004-02-04 06:23:32

Moo-Crumpus

No updates as far as I can see between instaling it, and about half an hour later, forcing to reinstall the mozilla & derivate packages.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#9 2004-02-04 18:12:10

sarah31
Website

well i am not sure if it is a problem with the packages as i have never had issues with moz/firebird. it could be an order of install issue though i am not sure on that.

one thiing i do know that happens on occasion and i had this problem with other distros too, is that you may have to manually remove the root mozilla directory then reinstall. somehow mozilla has the tendency to leave lint behind that pacman cannot clear out.

regardless this may be worth submitting a bug about as it is likely a install related issue. (just a guess there) if it end out not being a bug then no harm is done except you having spent the time to submit the bug.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer