You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-15 03:45:24

WyoPBS
Website

[SOLVED] Syslinux.cfg changes not taking effect

When I first switched from grub to syslinux, I discovered that my system won't boot properly without a nomodeset command in the boot line (actually I knew that; it was also in grub but I installed that 5 years ago and long since forgot).  It worked great.

A few weeks later, I had some trouble with the virtual terminal after X started, and someone suggested adding vga={x} to the boot command.  I did that, but as it turns out the one I picked wasn't supported by my graphics card/monitor: Whenever I boot, it says to press {enter} to choose from available modes.

I found one that worked well, and added it to syslinux.cfg, saved my work, and rebooted.  It *still* complains about the previous mode and makes me choose a proper one.  I have rechecked that my new value is in syslinux.cfg and rebooted countless times since then, and the new values just won't take.

Is there something else I need to do after editing syslinux.cfg?  The man page and wiki page are extremely thorough on initial installation and configuration, but not so much on making later changes.

Last edited by WyoPBS (2013-05-15 17:18:15)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2013-05-15 04:23:24

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Syslinux.cfg changes not taking effect

There should be nothing else you need to do.  Could it be that you are editing a wrong syslinux config? 

Also, it may be beneficial to give more detailed information about the syslinux config you are having trouble with, rather than such intimiate details of the kernel command line parameter you say is not changing as desired.

#3 2013-05-15 17:17:55

WyoPBS
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Syslinux.cfg changes not taking effect

When I change label values in syslinux.cfg the new label appears, so I am 100% positive I'm editing the right file on the right partition.

However, I found the answer -- When the list of modes pops up and I key in 313, the boot console is reading that as 0x313.  When I have "vga=313" in the cfg file, syslinux reads that as 313 decimal which is 0x139, an invalid mode. It just never occurred to me that the mode menu was presenting hex values...  Just had to change it to vga=0x313 and all is well.

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Board footer