You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-15 22:14:21

WyoPBS
Website

consistent naming with USB/PCI devices

I have an onboard audio device -- a Radeon HD 6500D -- which appears in aplay -l as two different audio cards -- the HDMI audio, and an analog audio.  In addition, I have an external USB audio card I use for podcasts.  So the three audio devices are:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: CODEC [USB Audio CODEC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]

Here's the problem: Every time I reboot, that list changes.  Sometimes the USB card is 0, sometimes 1, sometimes 2.  So any configurations that specify card/device like 0:0 or 2:0 stop working if the device order changes. This not only messes up the podcast software (idjc) but also anything that simply plays through the default audio -- since default may sometimes be 0:0, sometimes 0:1, etc.  I worked around this by creating three different asound.conf files where it identifies "default" as any one of those three, or I can just keep rebooting until they're in my preferred order.

Is there any way I can force it to consistently use the same card number for the same device across reboots?

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2013-05-15 23:10:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: consistent naming with USB/PCI devices

There are (at least) two ways that are both covered in the wiki.  You can either use device names rather than numbers (in .asoundrc), or create a modprobe .conf file to specify the order of loading.

I've used both methods, and they each worked well.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-05-15 23:15:48)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer