You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-15 09:50:20

serviscope_minor

[SOLVED] Touchpad problem on UX21 after upgrade.

I recently ran an upgrade on an Asus Zenbook UX21, and now the touch pad is not working.

Specifically, the pad generates no cursor movement in X, no output in /dev/input/mice and there is also no entry /dev/input/mouse0

For X11, there is a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf, but no synaptics relates output is found in Xorg.?.log.  Otherwise xorg seems to be set up correctly since hotplugging an external mouse functions just fine (and is currently how I use the machine).

I'm hypothesising that I'm not loading the right kernel module, but I've tried modprobing the ones with synaptics in the name to no effect (i.e. no entry appears in /dev/input).

I do not know if this is relevent, but there were a few things that needed fixing when the laptop was upgraded. The /bin/systemd symlink had gone, so the grub needed fixing (though this does not seem relevent). Also, much functionality which worked before (presumably by auto loading?) now requires modules to be manually loaded (I haven't automated it yet), including the ACPI battery monitor, rfkill and the ath9k wireless module. There may be others I haven't found yet. Finally, xorg wouldn't start without a new module (modesetting) being installed.

The other thing that may be relevant is that this laptop used to be on the old init system and has transitioned to using systemd months ago when I could hold out no longer. It's the only transition I've done and I'm not all that familiar with systemd, so I may have botched the upgrade in a way which is now starting to affect functionality.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any useful results online: the wiki states that it works out of the box (as it did before and may do now on new installs). I've spent a good few hours on this and I'm out of avenues to explore, so any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Last edited by serviscope_minor (2013-05-16 20:10:02)

#2 2013-05-16 20:10:39

serviscope_minor

Re: [SOLVED] Touchpad problem on UX21 after upgrade.

Solution:

It was a missing kernel module:

modprobe psmouse

Board footer