You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-16 19:07:24

basdi

[SOLVED] Can't solve ERROR: 'UUID= e357...' not found

Hello,

After accidentally deleting and restoring my root partiton  I cant't resolve this error: "ERROR: 'UUID= e357...' not found". None of the solutions I try seems to be working.
In summary, here is what I did:

I formatted the root partition to ext4 and copied the files from backup using a live disk.
I changed the uuid in fstab.

I mounted and chrooted to the root partiton

# mkdir /mnt/arch
# mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/arch
# cd /mnt/arch
# mount -t proc proc proc/
# mount -t sysfs sys sys/
# mount -o bind /dev dev/
# chroot /mnt/arch /bin/bash

where I get this two errors but it seems to be working anyway:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropiate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell

Then I tried

grub-install /dev/sda4

/dev/sda4 is mounted on /boot/efi

and  I get:

which: no efibootmgr in ((null))
Installation finished. No error reported

Then I did:

grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-mkconfig > /boot/efi/EFI/grub/grub.cfg

because both files were there and I got confused, so I tried both. Both return that a linux and an intrd image was found (but no windows which I also have installed).

After reboot I get exactly the same error. The uuid which can't be found is not referenced in any of the files I manipulated.

I have a EFI motherboard with win8 and Arch installed.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by basdi (2013-05-17 20:52:12)

#2 2013-05-16 19:16:36

schmidtbag

Re: [SOLVED] Can't solve ERROR: 'UUID= e357...' not found

Try replacing UUID in fstab and your boot config with the actual device name.  That's what I do and it makes headaches like this go away.

#3 2013-05-16 19:19:57

ewaller
Administrator

It does not appear that you mounted your boot partition on /mnt/arch before chroot'ing.  As such, you wrote the new grub configuration to the /boot directory on /, NOT to the boot partition that should have been mounted at /boot (obfuscating any files that would have been in there)

What happens if, in grub, you interrupt the boot and edit the command line.  I bet it has the old UUID.  If so, replace it with the new one and boot.  Afterwords, check to see if boot is mounted. If it is, then go fix grub.cfg.

Edit: Okay I just caught this:

/dev/sda4 is mounted on /boot/efi

Are you sure it was?

Last edited by ewaller (2013-05-16 19:22:24)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-05-16 20:06:06

basdi

Solved!

Thank you!

I followed the suggestions from ewaller. I could see all the files in /boot/efi  so it was mounted, wasn't it? I don't understand why it didn't write the changes.

schmidtbag, i will check out your suggestion, too.

But first, I will look for a way how to write -protect unrecognized partitons in win8...

#5 2013-05-16 20:09:32

schmidtbag

Well windows 8 can't write to anything it doesn't recognize, and it doesn't attempt to do anything with SATA/IDE drives with unknown filesystems, so you shouldn't have a need to bother.  If you're worried about plugging in a USB drive and it says "This is not recognized, do you want to format?" then what I'd suggest you do is get an SD card reader and use a SD card in place of your flash drive.  SD cards have write protection locks, so that would be a decent alternative.

There are ways to get windows to read linux filesystems, but they're not very integrated with the OS.

#6 2013-05-16 20:37:29

basdi

Well in my case it does attempt to do something with the unknown file systems on the internal hard drive. And that is what I meant in the last post: to find some way of protection from repeating how I deleted the partition in the first place: Explorer was going slow almost hanging, I hit enter a few times and must have selected the Linux partiton in the process. Win 8 asks you directly if you want to format the partiton. Hit enter and a few seconds later, voilà. I didn't see any of this because of the hang and when the screen came back to life I could see how the fomatting process bar reached 100%...  And there it was, a stressed moment which made me hit enter stupidly got a little more stressed...

Last edited by basdi (2013-05-16 20:38:28)

#7 2013-05-16 20:39:41

schmidtbag

I'm sure there's a registry edit you can do that will disable the format message.  I'm certain you can find it on google as quickly as I can.  I am curious if you manage to find it though.

Last edited by schmidtbag (2013-05-16 20:40:01)

Board footer