You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 06:42:13

felixculpa

Opus metadata tagging?

Does anyone know if you can edit the metadata of an .opus file, or do I have to define the tags during the encoding process (using opusenc)? I am playing opus files using Rockbox on my DAP, which works great. If I have to tag each track and each individual tag within it, the process would be too impractical (read: slow and painful) to actually switch to .opus as my main audio codec.

#2 2012-12-08 07:29:32

count0

Re: Opus metadata tagging?

You can use foobar to tag multiple files under windows, or even linux through wine.

The real question is, why opus? Vorbis is very well suited for your application (rockbox has an optimized tremor fork), and I assume that opus, being as new as it is, will not be nearly as efficient, and therefore give you less battery life.

#3 2012-12-09 06:49:37

felixculpa

I do have a large .ogg (vorbis) music collection already. I was thinking since opus was at the 1.0+ stage that it would be "safe" for me to convert some flac files into opus for my music player, but you may be right. I might just wait until it's further developed before going gung-ho on my music collection smile

Last edited by felixculpa (2012-12-09 06:50:25)

#4 2013-04-20 19:03:22

Epicanis

Hope I'm not annoying anyone by reviving this thread by posting in it.

I see Opus has having a great deal of potential to catch on a lot faster than Vorbis did (though Ogg Vorbis has quietly gotten a lot wider supported than it's given credit for most of the time. Many devices that support it don't even mention the fact...).  Opus is "Mandatory to Implement" for WebRTC, so any device that might be used for VoIP applications ought to end up with support for it built in eventually. It's also even higher quality at a given bitrate than Vorbis' already-excellent quality, which is handy for playing on old media players with limited built-in space (presuming, of course, that they support rockbox so you can have opus support in the first place) and makes it faster to sync a collection of music files over a network to a mobile device (cheaper, too, if you're paying for bandwidth e.g. cell data). I've not done EXTENSIVE testing, but thus far I've not seen any indication that opus is particularly harder on my batteries than vorbis.

But to get back to the old topic of this thread (as I am once again trying to find an answer to the same question) - support for this remains irritatingly in the "Real Soon Now" category. Taglib has actually had support in the development code for a while, but the 1.9 release that will contain it is now two months or so overdue.  Kid3 just recently added support for this for when taglib 1.9 eventually gets released to its codebase (but again is waiting on taglib 1.9 and the next release of kid3). Easytag has a feature request in "targeted" for version 2.1 release, but who knows if they'll get around to it.  Puddletag runs off of mutagen which is supposed to have Ogg Opus support, but puddletag doesn't seem to recognize opus files anyway. All signs so far seem to indicate that any minute now support for editing opus metadata will be widespread, I just wish they'd hurry up and get to it...

EDIT: Just noticed that exfalso (available as part of the quodlibet package, or by itself from AUR) DOES support opus files, except for "album art".

Last edited by Epicanis (2013-04-20 19:17:41)

#5 2013-04-20 20:05:53

Rasi
Website

Picard supports opus. in theory all tools should support it, since its basically the ogg container.

Last edited by Rasi (2013-04-20 20:06:25)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#6 2013-05-19 02:48:28

shaurz

I have written a script to do this for me. It uses metaflac to extract the tags and then passes them as command-line arguments to opusenc.

https://github.com/shaurz/misc/blob/master/syncmusic.py

To use the script, edit the srcpath and dstpath to point to you source and destination directories.

I would hope opusenc will eventually support FLAC files as input, as oggenc does.

Board footer