You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-20 15:56:45

greenfish

How to prevent breakage of server/htpc [SOLVED]

Hey guys!

I have linux (arch) on 2 setups, 1 server and 1 htpcbox. I rarely involve my self with linux nowdays which is a shame. Especially since you need to stay in the game if you wish to follow the new technology. Here's a recent example of a problem I have everytime I update my systems. For instance I didn't update my server  for a whole year, didn't care much for new kernel builds etc. But I did however need a new python setup for torrent and nttp. Alas yaourt started to complain python requires xx pacman yy. Of course I then started to update pacman and the whole system. But pacman would then complain package-query is obsolete and requires xx etc. Is there a way to have my htpc/server updated with just the components I require and to COMPLETLY disregard pacman and it's attempt to update every component? Everytime I get too many errors I resort to wiping the hdd and re-installing arch. This is not a problem on my htpc, but it's a pain in the ass on my server.

Better example: I just want to update a python package on my server, is it possible for me to do just that WITHOUT updating everything else? Let's say python requires a more recent build of pacman, but is that really neccessary?

Here's a madeup example:

# yaourt -S python
error python requires pacman >4.5

#pacman -S pacman
error pacman requires xxx >2.5

Then it's just a jungle of errors. After awhile I get annoyed and wipe out arch and start from scratch.

Sorry if i'm being a bit unclear. I can provide a much better explanation if it's needed. It's summer here and i've had 1-2 wine drinks big_smile

I try to check out the EXCELLENT news section you have here, but if you haven't been in the scene for a whole year, it's very easy to miss out relevant data.

Can I prevent this from just updating like 1-2 times per month?

EDIT: Please don't suggest another distro, i've been using linux since 2005, and this is the only distro I feel suit my needs and not mention it's excellent community.

Thank You

Last edited by greenfish (2013-05-20 16:17:47)

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#2 2013-05-20 16:03:55

karol
Archivist

Re: How to prevent breakage of server/htpc [SOLVED]

You will get such errors even if you update daily. In most cases these error are related to AUR packages or ones from unofficial repos that haven't been rebuilt yet.

Partial upgrades are unsupported so you should just take a couple minutes once in a while to fully update your system.

#3 2013-05-20 16:07:47

tomk
Forum Fellow

OK, I won't suggest another distro - I'll just say that this distro is totally unsuitable for anyone who updates only once a year. smile

#4 2013-05-20 16:12:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

greenfish wrote:

Is there a way to ... COMPLETLY disregard pacman

Yes: don't use archlinux.

Package management is, perhaps, the distinguishing feature between distros.  If you don't use pacman, you are not using arch.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-05-20 16:17:05

greenfish

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. I just figured maybe there was a way to make PACMAN not fully update/break my system if I just wanted to update a single package on my server. I will have to ponder my thoughts on how to proceed. I will probably stick with arch and try not to update too much after a long time.

Have a nice weekend smile

#6 2013-05-20 17:28:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Greenfish, that is not a solution.  If you are not going to update regularly*, then you should not use arch - there is no reason to use arch.

* - What definition of 'regularly' is regular enough is debatable, but once every few months seems a bare minimum.  Daily is better.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2013-05-20 17:33:22

karol
Archivist

I still don't understand what's the problem with updating the whole system.
If you update more often, you keep your updating skills sharp, you remember how it works and you have only a few things to take care of. Updating once in a looong time seems like a chore, you have to refresh your memory first, then it turns out that some of your helper scripts are not working etc. etc.

#8 2013-05-20 21:13:01

greenfish

karol wrote:

I still don't understand what's the problem with updating the whole system.
If you update more often, you keep your updating skills sharp, you remember how it works and you have only a few things to take care of. Updating once in a looong time seems like a chore, you have to refresh your memory first, then it turns out that some of your helper scripts are not working etc. etc.

Yeah that's true I guess. But i'm not even that heavily into linux anymore. I've been running my server since 2008 and since I rarely update, nothing ever breaks. I stopped reading/being active with linux 2 years ago and it's painfully obvious everytime there's a huge upgrade. I should probably as you say be more active to prevent these hard turndowns.

Trilby wrote:

Greenfish, that is not a solution.  If you are not going to update regularly*, then you should not use arch - there is no reason to use arch.

* - What definition of 'regularly' is regular enough is debatable, but once every few months seems a bare minimum.  Daily is better.

I use arch for it's KISS logic, something I use in my work as well. To me this is a very logical and easy distro to maintain providing you're active, something I haven't been for a long time.

I just cleaned out my HTPC, re'installed arch and holy yikes

All the scripts/customs daemons I used in the past are not obsolete! All my external usb devices are now working without any extra hacking. Old stuff that didn't work before is now working without anything extra.

I love how systemd arranges my services, just start service/enable, boom it's done smile

Man I need to stay more active, there's been some huge changes since I last updated.

Next update: my server, now that's gonna be painful big_smile

Oh what the hell, i'm gonna remove all custom scripts and see how far I can get.

Thanks guys smile

#9 2013-05-20 22:06:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Well, I guess you are approaching it with the right attitude.  If you really want arch and you're willing to deal with the issues that come with this strategy, then enjoy.

Board footer