You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-19 21:11:22

Damián94

Flash crashed during watching movies in YT, sound doesn't always work.

I have many the few problems with flash and sound in my Arch Linux.

Firstly, when I want to play a movie in YouTube, flash often gets crashed. Movies stop loading, and they stop playing at the most often in 7th second or 12th second. Additionally, the sound falters itself. When I want to do something in web browser, it stops working. I must restart it, but flash still doesn't work. I noticed, after flash's crash, I cannot work for example in kdenlive. It gets crashed too. That problem often exists during watching movies in YT.
Secondly, I don't always have sound in games. For example, I cannot hear anything in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, but e.g. in SuperTuxKart I hear everything. I don't have any idea, why sound works in some apps and doesn't work in the other apps.

I downgraded flash, because I thought, it could help, but unfortnately, it still has the problems. I use Firefox, but earlier I used Chromium and that problem was too.

Edit: I have just noticed, when after flash's crashing I want to listen to music and then I want to stop it, it falters like sound in YT movies.

Last edited by Damián94 (2013-05-19 21:15:53)

#2 2013-05-19 21:19:48

WonderWoofy

Re: Flash crashed during watching movies in YT, sound doesn't always work.

This is the third thread about sound issues I have read in the past couple of days that doesn't even include information about what sound system is in use...

#3 2013-05-19 21:42:26

Damián94

00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

I have installed ALSA.

#4 2013-05-20 04:55:38

dodo3773

If you use pulseaudio on your system try installing pulseaudio-alsa. This works for me in chromium + pepperflash. I was having sound issues / freezing issues until I installed that package. Also, check out the pulseaudio wiki on arch wiki and / or check your system to see if you have pulseaudio installed. Does sound work in your game correctly / consistently if your web browser / flash is not open / running?

#5 2013-05-20 12:27:30

Damián94

I had pulseaudio installed, by i didn't have pulseaudio-alsa. Now, it seems, it works correctly. For now flash works correctly and not crash. I hope, your tip has helped me and I won't have any problem with sound! Thank You. smile But I still don't have sound in Wolfenstein ET. It's not muted in settings in game.

So... sound was working correctly in games (exclude ET) after flash's crashing. Only when I was listening to music and then I was pausing the music, sound was faltering.

#6 2013-05-20 16:09:49

dodo3773

Is wolfenstein a wine game? If so There are a bunch of optional dependencies for wine. You can see them if you do "pacman -Qi wine" (same for any installed program in Arch unless installed without pacman/PKGBUILD).  Some that I have installed are:

lib32-alsa-lib
lib32-libpulse

If the game is a 32 bit windows game running through wine you may need some of these. If that doesn't work you can run it through the pulseaudio wrapper like this: "padsp wine /path/to/game.exe" Where /path/to/game.exe is the path to your wolfenstein executable. You can also check your sound settings with a program called "winecfg" (the defaults work fine for me though). To verify that your game is using pulseaudio there is a program called "pavucontrol" that will tell you all of the programs currently using sound through pulseaudio. Hope that helps.

Edit: Also found this which may be of interest I don't know: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/et-sdl-sound/

Last edited by dodo3773 (2013-05-20 16:10:53)

#7 2013-05-20 17:33:58

Damián94

Edit: Also found this which may be of interest I don't know: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/et-sdl-sound/

Unfortunately, it didn't help. Wolfenstein ET is still muted.

No, this game is also for Linux and I have that version. It's patched to the newest version (for Linux only the newest version is available).
I installed this game as root - is it not bad? Is it not a reason, I cannot hear anything in this game?

Last edited by Damián94 (2013-05-20 17:34:06)

#8 2013-05-20 17:38:33

dodo3773

Damián94 wrote:

Unfortunately, it didn't help. Wolfenstein ET is still muted.

No, this game is also for Linux and I have that version. It's patched to the newest version (for Linux only the newest version is available).
I installed this game as root - is it not bad? Is it not a reason, I cannot hear anything in this game?

I don't know much more about this as I do not run that game.

#9 2013-05-22 21:06:32

Damián94

Hmm, I totally forgot, in ET there is a console. lol

It tells me:

------sound initialization-------
could not open /dev/dsp

But still I don't know, what I can manage myself with that problem...

#10 2013-05-23 01:45:26

dodo3773

May be an oss problem. Try and see if this package helps at all:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/et-sdl-sound/

#11 2013-05-23 19:08:16

Damián94

it did not help me. Still ET is muted. neutral

#12 2013-05-23 19:24:25

dodo3773

Damián94 wrote:

it did not help me. Still ET is muted. neutral

Try alsamixer in a terminal to see if anything is muted, try installing pavucontrol and look at that and see if anything is muted. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Board footer