You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-19 16:23:47

tavianator
Website

Anyone gotten Arch Linux to cross-compile to Mac OS X?

Not sure if this is the right subforum, feel free to move this.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to cross-compile for OS X/Darwin from Arch.  I couldn't find any relevant packages in the AUR but maybe I'm missing something.  If no one's done it then I'll try to make some AUR packages for it, but I don't actually own a Mac so it'll be hard to test.

#2 2013-05-19 16:48:26

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Anyone gotten Arch Linux to cross-compile to Mac OS X?

Might be using distcc but not sure how the different versions of gcc would affect the results.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2013-05-20 20:04:08

ANOKNUSA

I could be wrong about this, but doesn't OS X use llvm/clang as its compiler?  That may or may not pose a problem (definitely not an expert there).  I guess it would depend on whether you plan on installing in Mac via a self-contained .app bundle, or installing to the root filesystem, as libraries/linking/what-not would be fundamentally different due to the BSD base.

The other barrier you'd face is that OS X almost always has considerably older versions of common utilities and libraries.  Anyone compiling software from a Linux system---especially Arch---for use on a Mac would still need to know exactly how to install and utilize the proper versions of those utilites on a Mac (via Homebrew or MacPorts or manually or whatever).

#4 2013-05-20 20:17:29

WonderWoofy

ANOKNUSA wrote:

I could be wrong about this, but doesn't OS X use llvm/clang as its compiler?

Yes it does.  Whether or not that will pose a problem I do not know.  I would imagine that since we have that available to us, it could be done.  But I have never tried.

#5 2013-05-20 20:17:33

Svenstaro
Administrator

Check this out: http://devs.openttd.org/~truebrain/comp … arwin9.txt

tl;dr: Only for masochists.

Board footer