You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-19 18:18:13

kelloco2

journalctl --verify errors

Hi.
I usually once a month clean the system. Before removing logs I always check the command "journalctl - verify" and there are errors always. Do You have errors like me too? Is this a BUG?
image169533.png
Regards K.

Last edited by kelloco2 (2013-05-19 18:18:43)

sorry for my english. {Arch Linux, Debian} User

#2 2013-05-19 18:41:41

WonderWoofy

Re: journalctl --verify errors

Yeah, this was supposedly fixed at some point, but on my machine it never really fixed itself.  I have every single system journal as corrupt, including the current one.  OTOH, my user journal is perfectly fine everytime.  Not really sure what to make of that.

#3 2013-05-20 02:01:35

cfr

I just checked this and my situation has definitely degenerated. Before, most files were OK with some failing. Now, I only have 3. The user one is OK. The others are corrupt. Moreover, journals are only taking 1M but it is supposed to keep up to 50M worth of journal files. Pah.

EDIT: The size thing is probably because I needed to clear some more space on /var. But the everything-corrupt thing is not!

EDIT 2: What does it mean when it says it is corrupt? I mean, the current journal is corrupt but journalctl -b still shows me the output I'd expect. Is this because it is accessing a version in memory and only the version on disk is corrupt? Or for some other reason? I assume this is not likely to be filesystem corruption since it seems to happen to lots and lots of us, if not everyone, and it is unlikely we all have filesystem corruption, I hope.

Last edited by cfr (2013-05-20 02:22:05)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2013-05-20 03:03:07

WonderWoofy

Honestly, with all that I have read about this issue, I still have not come across a clear explanation of what is actually happening here, or what it is actually reporting on.  I just stick to the thought that it does indeed continue to give me what seems to be valid journalctl output.

I did feel like it was doing better for a while after it was reportedly fixed somewhere before version 200.  My journals were coming back as okay, but now not so much.  It took me quite a while to realise this because I thought it had gotten better.  So I am not really sure where things went so south.

#5 2013-05-20 23:20:13

grepfor

WonderWoofy et al:

Regarding this:

I just stick to the thought that it does indeed continue to give me what seems to be valid journalctl output.

That's what I thought too, but now I'm not so sure. Have a look at this thread, which I posted the other day. It discusses some observations about subtle journalctl output oddities.

Alas, no one has responded to the post yet (which requested assistance in reproducing the problem) so still can't be sure whether it's a problem specific to  my system or something more general that might perhaps be related to journal corruption. But given the frequency of reports about corruption -- I'm seeing it too, very often -- can't help wondering if they are related.  It would sure be nice to get some feedback on this so I can file a detailed bug report, which might help the systemd/journalctl developers get to the bottom of it.

If anyone can provide journalctl logs across several boot cycles (annotated as described in the above thread) it would be a great help.  No need to even do the line-by-line analysis, as I described in the earlier posting; I'd be happy to look over your logs to see if the same sorts of peculiarities are occurring for you. Just post them to the forum here and I'll have a look. Maybe we can find a smoking gun.

TIA.

Board footer