You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-10 06:55:01

horsemanoffaith

[SOLVED]Wireless network will not autostart

On my new install of Arch I've found that when I reach a command prompt, I have to manually setup my wireless card every time I reboot. While I was following the procedure in the beginners guide, I typed in the command for the net-auto-wireless.service, but it said that it didn't exist. Did I do something wrong during my install? May have to start over... at least now I know how to manually configure the card to get on the internet!!!

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2013-05-22 05:26:05)

#2 2013-05-10 08:35:49

Raynman

Re: [SOLVED]Wireless network will not autostart

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162491 or check the wiki.

This thread is also relevant.

Last edited by Raynman (2013-05-10 08:36:53)

#3 2013-05-22 05:25:49

horsemanoffaith

I still haven't gotten the wireless to restart automatically, but now I know how to configure my card, and it's really not that hard. I'll mark this thread solved. Thanks for your help!

#4 2013-05-22 05:50:09

WonderWoofy

net-auto-wireless was part of the netcfg network manager, which has been deprecated in favor of netctl.  Netctl was designed from the ground up with systemd in mind, and works quite well.  Though netcfg still exists and I think is in the community repo now.

So basically you need to either check to make sure that netctl is installed, or install it.

It sounds like you are a beginner, so it may be worth installing wicd.  Since you are also apparently still at the point of setup where you don't yet have a graphical interface, you should know that wicd in our repos has been split into wicd and wicd-gtk.  The latter is the graphical interface/tray icon.  So all you need is the plain old wicd to get things going, as it includes wicd-curses, which is a ncurses based interface. 

Wicd is what I used for quite some time, and it never did me wrong.  I just eventually learned that there were other alternatives out there, and I now use basically all of them depending on my mood.

Board footer