You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-22 14:59:15

mapster

Frequent kernel panics brcmsmac

I'm experiencing frequent kernel panics after an update to a new kernel last night. I've tried searching for similar problems, but have had no luck, possibly because really I don't know what to search for.
I've attached a photo of the dump. Any help at fixing the problem is much appreciated. Removing the module brcmsmac does work, so it is related to it in some way. A side note is that it seems to be related to switching access point, when I was using the computer in a room with only one access point, it worked for a long while, but the moment I walked back to my office it panicked.
Kernel panic dump

edit: fixed img tag

Last edited by mapster (2013-05-22 15:01:11)

#2 2013-05-22 15:17:55

WonderWoofy

Re: Frequent kernel panics brcmsmac

You are probably going to get the moderator hammer struck down upon your post for the size of the image.

In any case, I do see some references to brcmsmac.  Have you ever tried to use the b43 module?  I am just wondering if this is due to the software (the module) or your hardware.  Of course if the module is not loaded, the hardware is not active.  With broadcom wireless, you really have the choice or three modules for most cards.  There is the brcmsmac open module.  There is the b43, which is open-source, but it is reverse engineered, and uses broadcom's closed binary blob.  Or you can use the broadcom wl module that is their hybrid open soure/proprietary module.

Using b43 is super simple.  Just install b43-firmware from the AUR.  Then blacklist what it tells you to blacklist (you do this with the /etc/modprobe.d directory). Then you can either reboot, or manually unload the brcmsmac module and then load the b43 module.

I figure it is worth a shot to see if something as simple as using a different drive might fixt the problem.

#3 2013-05-22 15:25:08

mapster

Fixed the image size.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try to install the b43-firmware later this evening and report back smile

Edit:
Seems to be working fine with b43. Thanks again.

Last edited by mapster (2013-05-23 13:59:03)

#4 2013-06-24 23:38:25

[knap]

I have been having this same issue for about 1.5 months, there seems to be several report of this:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=962211

But the kernel people don't seem to discuss it, anyone has news?

Board footer