You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-22 15:12:12

wingsuit

[Solved] Black screen after startx, GDM causes hang at boot

So I followed the install guide and and have tried many google workarounds for the problem but none have worked. I am running a Toshiba Satellite e500 with Intel i5 which I assume comes with HD4000 graphics. I installed the  vesa drivers along with the xf86-video-intel drivers.  First startx caused the screen to stay black so I installed the GMD and then starting the computer would hang just after GRUB, and I cannot do anything further.... Any ideas?

Last edited by wingsuit (2013-05-22 17:03:14)

#2 2013-05-22 16:23:12

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Black screen after startx, GDM causes hang at boot

Try disabling GDM in systemd.  Boot to a console and log in.  If things are still working, start GDM from the console.  If that fails, switch too another console, log in, and kill GDM.  There now may be useful information on the original console.  Were it my system I would actually log in from to the console, start a tmux session, flip to a second console, log in, attach to the tmux session, and then start GDM.  While it is starting, flip back to the original console and watch the telemetry go by in the other tmux screen.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-05-22 16:35:43

wingsuit

Re: [Solved] Black screen after startx, GDM causes hang at boot

Okay turns out it was just this issues

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ion_method

Last edited by wingsuit (2013-05-22 17:03:36)

Board footer