You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-22 19:45:37

darlinger

let's make a xen tutorial!

i can't help but notice that the documentation in the wiki for xen is a bit shoddy.

here is what can most easily be found:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xen
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Xen

issues i see (though they may not actually be issues, just me being nitpicky):

the official wiki only gives instructions for grub2, and doesn't even mention syslinux and lilo.
imho the latter two fit in with the arch way much better, and also syslinux is specifically addressed in the installation tutorial.

lacks instruction for luks/lvm encryption (both lvm on luks and luks on lvm). though not necessary, it would be nice to include some information concerning that because most things i've tried with it don't exactly seem to work

still has instructions for network.d for bridged networking.
there needs to be instruction for netctl

lacks troubleshooting for compiling xen
though not necessary, i believe it would help because it took me six times to compile the darn thing and i did it in a clean chroot

possibly needs to be some distinguishment of the difference between xen and citrix xenserver because they are NOT the same thing

some iptables and ufw info might also be nice

pygrub information would also be nice

there are other issues listed in the Talk:Xen article above ^

what do you say, should we perhaps do some work in improving on this? xen is great software and i would love to see arch support for it improve

#2 2013-05-22 20:25:02

alphaniner

Re: let's make a xen tutorial!

This really doesn't belong in this forum, probably not on the BBS at all.

Make a wiki account and start improving it. If you're uncomfortable doing that, use the talk page to solicit input on your proposed changes first.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2013-05-22 20:29:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Yes: discussions about wiki pages should really take place on the respective talk page.

Moving to Forum & Wiki discussion...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2013-05-22 20:30:05

darlinger

okay... but the problem is that there already is a talk page and nothing seems to have been done about it on the actual wiki. that and i AM uncomfortable about doing that on my lonesome which is why i have come here to find some knowledgable arch users that could be of assistance.

#5 2013-05-22 20:31:00

darlinger

alright. will do. sorry for the bother.

#6 2013-05-22 20:31:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Whatever changes you make are reversible, or improvable. If you make a start, it is more likely to precipitate more activity than discussion here.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2013-05-22 20:34:57

darlinger

i see. all i have to do is make an account and i can just go right in and get started? haven't actually fiddled with wikis before

#8 2013-05-23 10:20:46

kynikos
Wiki Admin

darlinger wrote:

i see. all i have to do is make an account and i can just go right in and get started? haven't actually fiddled with wikis before

You can start reading Help:Editing and the related articles if you want; you can do some testing in ArchWiki:Sandbox; just, please, considering that you have outlined many things you want to update in the page, don't make too many changes in one single edit, but do a little change, preview it, save the page when you're happy with it, and move on to the next edit. Also it's going to help a lot if you write a "reason" for each edit in the Edit Summary just above the Save Page button.

Board footer