You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-05 21:05:07

lucke

Archie as distrowatch's featured distro of the week

I've found it mightly disturbing that noone has created a topic about that yet. It's just so ... unusual O_o

(*giggles nervously*)

So, anyway, I guess it's worth acknowledging. Hereby, congratulations to Archie's devs, as well as Arch devs, let alone the whole community (including even me!), without which the A pair wouldn't made it there. Tsktsk.

#2 2005-12-05 21:11:02

Gullible Jones

Re: Archie as distrowatch's featured distro of the week

I'll thank my lucky stars that I've become part of the community of such an outstanding and even revolutionary distribution. Great work guys! 8)

#3 2005-12-05 21:45:15

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Wow!  Thanks for the heads up!  No idea where ziggy is atm but I threw a quick news post up on our homepage to welcome people from distrowatch - hope it helps smile

#4 2005-12-05 21:45:19

arooaroo
Website

Woo hoo! well done to all involved.

#5 2005-12-05 22:46:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

go archie! go z4ziggy!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2005-12-05 23:18:50

z4ziggy
Website

smile

nice to be featured i guess... all thanks goto Arch developers ofcourse, for making such a great distro. I only made it live...

and ofcourse, thanks goto the great Archie team - developers and testers - for contributing so much to the project smile

lately i got some projects (finally... a man gotta live...) so im busy with other stuff atm. I do try todo my best to work on Archie too, but for now im building a customized Archie for my congregation (hebrew supported, nice customization, featuring the bibletime software), and i try to squeeze some Archie work between here and there. Hopefully with dibble's and the rest of the team we'll be able to release 0.6 (xfce/kde/e17) shortly.

#7 2005-12-06 10:31:55

arooaroo
Website

Just wait until Archie includes Jacman as its default pacman front-end and watch the distro take over the world! 8)

</in-your-dreams>

jk ziggy smile

#8 2005-12-06 11:51:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, we are looking for a pacman front-end - you need to make it even better tho, mate!

#9 2005-12-06 12:25:38

arooaroo
Website

Pah! It still beats the competition!

That said, I've got loads of stuff to do to it but little time and motivation at the moment. If the AUR guys sorted out decent integration to 3rd parties then I would have supported that straight-away and that would have rocked.

I have a feeling that Jacman may fade away because people can't get over the fact it's in Java. It will always lose out to an inferior gtk equiv.

Anyway - never meant to hijack the thread. Let's stay on topic and keep giving the Archie guys the praise they deserve.

#10 2005-12-06 12:49:10

z4ziggy
Website

smile jacman is really a great looking frontend, no doubt about it, and i even think its performance is really suprising. but the java dependency is its downside. I think I will install it for my friends after Archie hd install, mainly since it looks so cool, but for the iso, java is just too much.

btw, another non related jacman issue - jacman keeps closing itself after I install a package and I click the "close" button on the install screen when installation is done. I think it should go back to the main window instead.

[edit]
ps.
finally paku is taking shape as the ultimate pygtk pacman frontend. I hope once pkgbuilds are ready we will include it in the final Archie iso.

#11 2005-12-06 13:26:00

soniX

about the non related jacman issue.
change the property "jacman.disposeMainMenu" from true to false.

arooaroo.. we have to get the 0.3 release out soon.. its been "almost done" for ages now.... (or call it 2.something and leave the aur parts out for now)

to avoid this being a continuation of the hijacking : congratulations to the archie team!

#12 2005-12-06 14:20:19

arooaroo
Website

soniX wrote:

about the non related jacman issue.
change the property "jacman.disposeMainMenu" from true to false.

You know - this "feature" has definately not gone down well. It wasn't the default behaviour until someone asked for it! It will be disabled by default for the next release.

soniX wrote:

arooaroo.. we have to get the 0.3 release out soon.. its been "almost done" for ages now.... (or call it 2.something and leave the aur parts out for now)

Right you are, young man. I better roll my sleaves up.

#13 2005-12-09 16:01:30

MartinZ

Congratulations to Archie team!!! It's a really, really cool live cd.
In fact, the best and fastest i've tried. I've used it many times, showing my friends how great linux is (and how it loads faster from a cd than their windoze box!!!!) and for repairing computers that won't boot.

About this last point, it would be nice to include tools like parted and ntfsprogs-fuse with Archie. I also couldn't use pendrives with it, i don't know if it's possible.

Congratulations again!!!!

PS: i love xfce (that's what i use in my desktop), but it will be great to see enlightenment implemented in Archie!!!

EDIT: I posted the package request in the right place now, in Archie's forum.

All your base are belong to us

#14 2005-12-09 16:20:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

archie includes gparted smile

#15 2005-12-09 17:16:58

MartinZ

dibblethewrecker wrote:

archie includes gparted smile