You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-25 20:32:06

DanielRS

Module 'asus-nb-wmi' stopped being auto-loaded after kernel update

Well, the module 'asus-nb-wmi' which takes care of some FN keys and keyboard backlight stopped being auto-loaded after the latest kernel udpate (3.9.3), so I had to add it to /etc/modules-load.d/ to get it working. This has happened before, between kernel updates and I had to re-install arch to fix it, but now I found that manually adding the module is a nice solution, but I want it to be loaded automatically or at least know why does this happen. Kernel modules, such as this one, should be loaded automatically right?

Best regards.

Last edited by DanielRS (2013-07-04 19:54:48)

#2 2013-05-25 20:36:12

WonderWoofy

Re: Module 'asus-nb-wmi' stopped being auto-loaded after kernel update

A kernel module wasn't loading automatically so you re-installed your operating system?!?!  That seems like a bit overkill to me.

Anyway, no one can answer your question with the information you provided.  Is there some kind of searching ito the problem that you might have done on your own?  Have you gathered any evidence of what is happening?  Have you looked through the logs?  Have you searched with the google to see if there are others who experience this as well? 

In short, you need at least give some kind of info about the situation besides "Its broken, why is it doing this?"

#3 2013-05-26 01:42:22

DanielRS

This solved topic talks about the exact same problem. As you can see, the module stopped loading after the kernel update and the solution is to manually add it to /etc/modules-load.d
I already got my FN keys & keybaord backlight working with that solution, but I want to know why the module stopped being auto-loaded in first place, that's why I created this topic.

I would be pleased to post more relevant information, could you give some guidelines so I can do it?

Best regards.

#4 2013-05-26 05:47:43

DanielRS

I have a new problem, now the module (asus-nb-wmi) is not being loaded, even with the file in /etc/modules-load.d/

This is the output systemctl status shows:

systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2013-05-26 01:11:04 VET; 4min 18s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
  Process: 153 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

and the output that journalctl shows:

-- Logs begin at Fri 2013-02-08 13:10:52 VET, end at Sun 2013-05-26 01:16:49 VET. --
May 26 01:11:04 aghost systemd-modules-load[153]: Failed to insert 'asus_nb_wmi': No such device

Looks like the module is not being located, but I can load the same module after the system boots.

Best regards.

#5 2013-05-26 05:56:51

DanielRS

I solved the problem by adding 'asus-nb-wmi' to the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
But now I wonder why I need to add this module manually? Before it was being loaded automatically. Some help would be appreciated.

Last edited by DanielRS (2013-05-26 17:01:16)

#6 2013-05-28 00:57:34

thenextdon13

I think there is a valid question here;  Same thing happened to me.
Upon a default install of arch, the module was auto-loaded without the user touching any configuration files
at some point during kernel updates, the module is no longer auto-loaded

the user then has to find out what is happening and go add the module to the appropriate config file to force load on boot.

So the larger question is; without config files being taken into consideration, how does the kernel decide what modules to load?  f
I know it has something to do with the hardware that it detects, but am unaware if this is something within the RC or systemctl booting system, or if this is part of the kernel.

I'm going to dig around some more on the internet, as i'm sure the answer is out there somewhere.. but if someone that is on this forum happens to read and know the answer, it would be nice to know smile
thanks

#7 2013-05-28 01:03:15

WonderWoofy

This is certainly a valid question, and unfortunaetly, I do not know the answer.  But what I find very curious is that the module does not load when under normal circumstances, and then wouldn't even load when being put in /etc/modules-load.d by the OP.  Though when included in the initramfs, it is loaded.  Modules within the initramfs are still in a situation where they are autodetected then loaded, and as such you can include just about every module you want in there and it will only load what is needed with udev (the fallback kernel is exactly this).  So what is the difference between udev in the initramfs and systemd (also udev) in the normal environment... odd.

#8 2013-07-09 07:26:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Weirdly enough, for me it gets loaded when in /etc/modules-load.d but still gives an error 'module not found'.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2013-07-12 18:52:08

johni

thenextdon13 wrote:

I think there is a valid question here;  Same thing happened to me.
Upon a default install of arch, the module was auto-loaded without the user touching any configuration files
at some point during kernel updates, the module is no longer auto-loaded

I once ran into a similar issue with a module.  It turns out in the kernel update the module now had an extra module it depended on in the new kernel, but not in the old.   When updating the kernel with pacman, it builds the initcpio using the modules loaded in the old kernel, so it doesn't realize the other module needs to go with it.

For me the solution was to load the module manually after boot, and then rerun mkinitcpio which now detected the extra module and added to the initcpio automatically.

#10 2013-09-06 12:41:23

martin101

ngoonee wrote:

Weirdly enough, for me it gets loaded when in /etc/modules-load.d but still gives an error 'module not found'.

I'm having the same problem. I'm on a fresh install using Kernel Version 3.10.10-1, I add the module to /etc/modules-load.d/asus_nb_wmi.conf - It loads but complains on boot the the module hasn't been found, however this is the only way I can get it to actually load automatically. If I add it to the modules section of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf it doesn't load.

Without this module my screen brightness doesn't work. Any one have any idea why this might be? The error on boot is quite annoying and I'm interested in learning from this.

Board footer