You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-20 17:50:40

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

WVDial Segmentation Fault

I'm thinking I might need to connect via my modem from the console (to upgrade XFree86), so I ran pacman -Sy wvdial. I configured wvdial and got it to connect. However, just after it negotiates the connection and fires up pppd, it Seg faults:

[root@buchuki root]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*70,13069957000
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*70,13069957000
CONNECT 32000/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
Saskatchewan Sympatico
SWCR-0101 slot:4/mod:20
login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: (login)
(login)
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
PPP session from  142.165.70.235 to  142.165.110.24 beginning...~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }?}!}$}%}"}&[7f][7f][7f][7f]}%}&S[1f]>.}'}"}(}"}1}$}%}3}#} .>~
--> PPP negotiation detected.
Segmentation fault

I realized I didn't have the latest ppp, so I pacman -Sy'd that too, but it's still faulting. Nobody on google or on searching this board has had this sort of problem, so I assume it's something I did, a misconfiguration or something.

EDIT: I also tried the pon and poff scripts from this thread,
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … dial+fault

but am getting similar behaviour; the connection seems to be made, but then disconnects right away. I'm not getting any errors on the console, and the logs don't give me any hints.  Maybe it's pppd that is segfaulting?????

I'm having no trouble connecting using kppp in X.

Also, I'm getting kernel log messages that /dev/cua4 is obsolete or something and to use ttyS4 instead. I've always used ttyS4 in the past, and devfs seems to have set up both links; is there any reason not to use ttyS4 as my link from /dev/modem? (I don't recall where I read that cua should be used, the FAQ or install guide, I think).

Thanks,
Dusty

#2 2004-01-22 21:19:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: WVDial Segmentation Fault

For the record, I didn't get any console dialup application working, but I got around the need to download from outside X as follows:

Download the new version of X, but don't install:
pacman -Syw xfree86

Then you can disconnect, and remove the old X:
pacman -Rd xfree86

Then sync in the previously downloaded X:
pacman -S xfree86

Pretty simple, bit it might be helpful for other people with similar problems.

Dusty

#3 2004-03-05 20:31:21

jimdaworm

Hey Dusty thats strange I have EXACTLY the same problem  :?:   Did you ever figure it out?? Or just keep using Kppp?? That is my next move kppp, but it would be cool to not HAVE to use x to dial up.

Adam

¿Pero, Por que?

#4 2004-07-12 04:10:52

afu

Not sure what your issue is but I use wvdial and don't have the problem. From where you get the segfault message, I get "starting pppd", so maybe it has something to do with pppd. I know that's weird as you can use Kppp.

Just bringing this up as the latest pkg works for me.
-Shawn

#5 2004-07-12 15:30:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

This is an old post! smile

I thought the segfault issue was cleared up with the arch 0.6 install CD but maybe not. You could *try* downloading the latest versions of wvdial, wvstreams, and pppd from ftp.archlinux.org and installing with pacman -U. Did you try the wiki Hint on getting pppd working directly? That's what I do now, since I'm anti kde... kde and dialup do not cooperate, toooo big!

Dusty

Board footer