You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-27 22:17:07

reinux

[Solved] "mount: unknown filesystem type 'zfs_member'" installing ZFS

I'm following the Installing Arch Linux on ZFS guide, but when I try to mount the boot partition, I get this error:

root@archiso /mnt # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot
mount: unknown filesystem type 'zfs_member'

I've tried this on two machines so far, with the same error on both. What could I be missing?

Last edited by reinux (2013-05-28 10:21:05)

#2 2013-05-28 01:25:50

WonderWoofy

Re: [Solved] "mount: unknown filesystem type 'zfs_member'" installing ZFS

You don't mount a zfs pool with the mount command, you do with with either zfs or zpool, I can't remember.  Beware that installing Arch on zfs is not wihtout its issues.  Using the AUR packages, you will surely run into issues when trying to compile spl and zfs for new kernels.  If you use demizerone's repo, though he is pretty darn quick, there is teh chance you might update your kernel before he gets a chance to update his repo, and then you are going to have issues.  Otherwise, zfs is really really really cool, and I wish it was something that was offered with the official repos.  If you want something with a bit more true zfs suppot and compatibility, gentoo actually has spl and zfs in their portage tree.

#3 2013-05-28 01:55:29

reinux

WonderWoofy wrote:

You don't mount a zfs pool with the mount command, you do with with either zfs or zpool, I can't remember.  Beware that installing Arch on zfs is not wihtout its issues.  Using the AUR packages, you will surely run into issues when trying to compile spl and zfs for new kernels.  If you use demizerone's repo, though he is pretty darn quick, there is teh chance you might update your kernel before he gets a chance to update his repo, and then you are going to have issues.  Otherwise, zfs is really really really cool, and I wish it was something that was offered with the official repos.  If you want something with a bit more true zfs suppot and compatibility, gentoo actually has spl and zfs in their portage tree.

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the kernel and zfs being out of step; I'll just be careful, and cry if I do accidentally update the kernel before. And yes, I'm using demizerone's repo.

I'm a little confused about mounting, because the wiki seems to indicate that you need to mount first using "zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id -R /mnt zroot" -- and then mount the drive again using "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot".

#4 2013-05-28 01:56:05

reinux

Oh, I think I know -- I'm supposed to mount the boot partition, not the zfs partition. Whoops!

#5 2013-05-28 01:59:20

WonderWoofy

reinux wrote:

Oh, I think I know -- I'm supposed to mount the boot partition, not the zfs partition. Whoops!

Yeah, importing the pool will actuall mount it.  In this case it is on the specified /mnt at the end of the command.  This step is because you have already specified the mountpoints on the various zfs subvolumes (I know they're not called subvolumes in zfs... I can't remember what they are off the top of my head), so you don't want to have it try to mount over your existing/running filesystem (which it will not do by the way).

#6 2013-05-28 02:17:20

reinux

WonderWoofy wrote:
reinux wrote:

Yeah, importing the pool will actuall mount it.  In this case it is on the specified /mnt at the end of the command.  This step is because you have already specified the mountpoints on the various zfs subvolumes (I know they're not called subvolumes in zfs... I can't remember what they are off the top of my head), so you don't want to have it try to mount over your existing/running filesystem (which it will not do by the way).

Got it. Thanks!

#7 2013-05-28 02:22:40

WonderWoofy

Don't forget to mark the thread as [Solved] which can be done by editing the first post.

Board footer