You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-03 18:59:36

jak24

Overheating with nvidia ( proprietary ) driver

Hello,
I'm using laptop with NVS 3100m video card and nouveau driver for it. Today I moved to proprietary driver and was surprised by it's behaviour. While idling it takes just a few seconds to calm down to 50-55C, on the other hand any activity dramatically heats my machine. For example, watching video, opening a lot of tabs in firefox or launching darkplaces rises the temperature up to 70-85C. Launching any game via wine constantly increases the temperature to the critical limit in a few minutes. I suppose this is not how the driver should work. With nouveau it was never higher than 85C under high load. Also I used proprietary driver a half year ago for a while and it worked fine.

I tried to change overclocking settings but this gives only 2-3 degrees off. The fan is ok, there is no dust inside and it works harder than before. Also, I use laptop-mode with default configuration. While googling i noticed that some people had the same issues with certain ( but older ) versions of a kernel and driver.

So does anyone have the same problem with kernel 3.7.9-2 ( x86_64 ) and 313.18 version of nvidia?
And ( if I got my problem wrong and that's not about the versions ) in which direction should i search the solution?

#2 2013-03-06 08:38:56

k.sarend

Re: Overheating with nvidia ( proprietary ) driver

jak24 wrote:

Hello,
I'm using laptop with NVS 3100m video card and nouveau driver for it. Today I moved to proprietary driver and was surprised by it's behaviour. While idling it takes just a few seconds to calm down to 50-55C, on the other hand any activity dramatically heats my machine. For example, watching video, opening a lot of tabs in firefox or launching darkplaces rises the temperature up to 70-85C. Launching any game via wine constantly increases the temperature to the critical limit in a few minutes. I suppose this is not how the driver should work. With nouveau it was never higher than 85C under high load. Also I used proprietary driver a half year ago for a while and it worked fine.

I tried to change overclocking settings but this gives only 2-3 degrees off. The fan is ok, there is no dust inside and it works harder than before. Also, I use laptop-mode with default configuration. While googling i noticed that some people had the same issues with certain ( but older ) versions of a kernel and driver.

So does anyone have the same problem with kernel 3.7.9-2 ( x86_64 ) and 313.18 version of nvidia?
And ( if I got my problem wrong and that's not about the versions ) in which direction should i search the solution?

Does the current nvidia driver you use support your card?

Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

#3 2013-03-23 10:03:35

jak24

Thanks for the reply, i didn't think about that.
According to the official site, 304xx branch should support my card, but it works as well as 313xx: the same overheating is there.
I also ran windows to look for driver's info and behavior there. It seems to belong to 275xx series, that isn't maintained ( there is an old package in aur nvidia-utils-275xx, that requires downgrading Xorg ). Also, while idling in windows the temperature never goes under 70C. So those temperatures i describe above is more than ok.

The only one problem remains is that 32-bit under wine apps causes real overheating ( above 100C and higher ) for no reason. Any ideas?

#4 2013-05-29 03:55:31

reedlaw

I am having this same problem with the same Nvidia chip (3100M). I have the 304.88 nvidia drivers and 3.9.3-1-ARCH kernel. It happens mostly when I plug in an external monitor. Switching gnome-terminal tabs becomes very slow and eventually the laptop overheats and shuts itself down. Has anyone found a solution?

#5 2013-05-29 04:24:01

pam

Search for NVS gave me this...319.17
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp … river.html

If you are using an older cpu i suggest you downgrade the kernel to 3.8 or 3.6 and try..
THe 3.7 kernel is EOL.

Main workstation: HP-Pavilion G6-2005ax, AMD quad core trinity APU(devastator) with 7640 HD 512 MB radeon + 7670m 1GB Gddr3 dedicated, 240 gb zalman ssd, 8GB ddr 3 1600mhz, OS: Arch 2013, Ultimate 3.4 lite, Windows 8.
Moderator at www.ultimateeditionoz.com Admin at:http://forumubuntusoftware.info

#6 2013-05-29 04:43:58

reedlaw

pam wrote:

Search for NVS gave me this...319.17
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp … river.html

If you are using an older cpu i suggest you downgrade the kernel to 3.8 or 3.6 and try..
THe 3.7 kernel is EOL.

My CPU is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz

I installed the Arch nvidia-304xx driver according to the instructions here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Installing
I based the nvidia version on the info here: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/

Looks like I should be using the nvidia package instead because it is using the latest 319.23 nvidia driver.

#7 2013-05-29 05:53:05

Max-P

Hi,

To have a compare point, are you sure that the nouveau driver users the same performance levels as the proprietary one? Nouveau often do that, the card works fine, but it lacks power management and keeps the card in its lowest settings, and in your case would also prevent overheating.

Try forcing the card into performance level 0 or 1 (wiki) and see what happens: If the temps are around the same as nouveau, then I might be right about why nouveau doesn't show this behavior.

On the other hand, there could be a hardware problem: even at maximum power, unless overclocked, the card should be able to cool itself. Are you sure the internal fans are really clean? They can look clean and you can easily forget small places. Heres a pic of mine, first I was "hey, this is clean. Why is it overheating?". I had to use pressured air to get some dust out of the heatsink (the orange thing) even if it didn't look that bad. There actually were a lot of dust in there, and I went 20 degrees down at max load. Since it overheated a few times as you say, the thermal paste might actually have dried out too, changing it couldn't do much harm if you know how.

Good luck

#8 2013-05-30 08:10:46

reedlaw

I've updated to the latest nvidia 319.23 driver and I still get overheating when my Thinkpad is docked and displaying on an external monitor. I can sense it about to shut down when I start to see tabs switching getting sluggish. It may not be just the video card overheating, but the CPU because I saw a brief flash of a warning saying my core temp was at 123C!

Board footer