You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-09 18:53:47

RobK

PCMCIA Ethernet card on my Laptop

I would like to install arch on my old Laptop.  It does not have a built in ethernet port.  I use a PCMCIA Ethernet Card. 

Under Linux, I normally need the yenta_socket and 8139too kernel modules to get it to work. 

Is there a package in arch that I can install that will give me the needed PCMCIA card manager support?  Does arch come with the common 8139too kernel module.

Rob

#2 2005-12-12 00:11:59

iggy

Re: PCMCIA Ethernet card on my Laptop

install arch, enable pcmcia-deamon in /etc/rc.conf and load module 8139too. that's all!

sorry for my bad english smile

#3 2005-12-12 01:43:34

RobK

Re: PCMCIA Ethernet card on my Laptop

I finally got PCMCIA to work.  But it was a battle. 

My ethernet card DLINK DFE-690 TXD will NOT work with Arch 0.7.  (It does work when using the Arch 0.7  Installation CD but after installation, it does not work). 

I tried everything.  (e.g. disabling almost everything in rc.conf and the config scripts).  I even tried manually inserting the modules using modprobe. And then running dhcpcd.  But dhcpcd failed since the ethernet PCMCIA card was "BUSY". 

I found the BUG!  The problem is with the 2.6.10 kernel that the arch 0.7 CD installs.  In other words, the stock IDE or SCSI kernels that come with the 0.7 installation CD's are buggy.

I reinstalled arch usng FTP install.  (arch 0.7.1 is then installed with a newer kernel 2.6.13).  Arch 0.7.1 was able to properly detect and setup my PCMCIA card and get networking going. 

I did NOT enable the pcmcia or hotplug daemons in rc.conf.  You do NOT need to.  They automatically get set up in the loadng modules stage (where some auto detection is being done). 

So if anyone else is having problems, just use the FTP installation which installs arch 0.7.1 and a newer kernel 2.6.13.

Rob

Board footer