You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-30 12:23:44

stabu

[SOLVED]boot to emergency mode: but error reports seem to be "effects"

Hi,

I installed some packages in a rush the other day (not good practice, I admit) and actually can't boot into Arch properly anymore: I get this "emergency mode" shell which allows me to log in as root.

my hard disks are mounted and everything, so I think most of the booting procedure is done, and that the failure lies within systemd (systemd does so much, that this is hardly a revelation),

In any case, the emergency shell tells me to inspect output of "journalctl -xb", however I can't get much joy from this report. It claims that it cannot mount /mnt/cdrom, and then that it can't find plymouth ... I looked the latter up, but it seems that the boot process shouldn't really fail for reasons like that, and I get the feeling that these are "effects" rather than real causes of errors.

Has anybody any quick tips on how to squeeze the really juicy error reports out of journalctl or if there's another tool which can help me find the root cause?

In the meanwhile, I'm going to read up properly on systemd ...

Thanks!

Last edited by stabu (2013-05-30 15:51:53)

((marry*)(char* _hername_, char* _myname_)) = (hell<0º)? 1:0;

#2 2013-05-30 12:40:31

jakobcreutzfeldt

Re: [SOLVED]boot to emergency mode: but error reports seem to be "effects"

Are any messages printed when you're dropped to the console, perhaps about not being able to find the init program?

#3 2013-05-30 15:55:37

stabu

Re: [SOLVED]boot to emergency mode: but error reports seem to be "effects"

Thanks for the interest jakobcreutzfeldt.

This problem is solved, and was due to my incompetence.

I had mindlessly edited fstab and asked the CDROM to be mounted automatically on boot. And I had pulled out the CD.

Putting the cdrom to "noauto" solved the problem.

BTW I thought systemd was a replacement for init.
BTFW ... the plymouth errors disaapeared in journalctl -b.

Cheers and thanks.

((marry*)(char* _hername_, char* _myname_)) = (hell<0º)? 1:0;

Board footer