You are not logged in.

#26 2003-12-05 02:46:28

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Arch Linux (AMLUG live CD)

kritoke wrote:

Your distro(livecd) is in the waiting list on DistroWatch, heh.  Didn't take long I guess.

It past the three months waiting period.

http://distrowatch.com/index.php
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=alamlug

Markku

#27 2003-12-05 13:04:56

zen_guerrilla

Hello rasat,
I haven't time (& bandwidth smile) to check up your livecd at the moment but seems to be great, I'll fetch it from work some time soon & tell you more about it.

However I have some suggestions to make.
*) Upgrade kernel to 2.4.23. Although this is a livecd (& thus read-only fs), someone could exploit the do_brk() flaw in 2.4.22 and install a rootkit in a linux installation in hdd (in case the user has linux installed in his/her hdd).
*) Since it's desktop-oriented I'd suggest adding pppconfig, which is a nice dialog-based console ppp configuration tool.
*) Since you include portmap, consider adding nfs-utils too.
*) Also consider adding mplayer, I haven't found any usable livecd yet that includes it...

ps. I'm planning to create a livecd based on AL myself sometime but it will be really controversial for most people (only openbox for wm, openssh,nmap,snort & other nice net tools & of course mplayer to play divx on friends' windoze boxes smile).

#28 2003-12-05 15:47:08

dp
Website

mplayer? ... well, you can also using instead xine+kaffeine (+codecs) ... kaffeine is a nice player for CD, DVD, and all formats supported by xine/codecs (and has nice visualisation)

the arch package is in my TUR (it's cvs, but i'm in contact with the author and the cvs i got is the most stable one now)

have a look at:
http://kaffeine.sourceforge.net/

with it, you are then capable of running quite all movies/audio in a nice gui :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#29 2003-12-05 16:17:13

zen_guerrilla

sarah31 wrote:

and then you would not have to touch that evil mplayer which is developed by just about the most unfriendly lot on the entire planet.

It seems that I'm the only one here that *loves* mplayer, maybe because I'm a BOFH big_smile.

#30 2003-12-05 16:31:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I agree with sarah31.  Apart from the closed minded X developers, I hear that the mplayer developers are some of the worst.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#31 2003-12-05 16:50:21

zen_guerrilla

I don't want to start a flame bait, I prefer mplayer because :

* I prefer its command-line interface than the gui.
* it's really fast (just add 'unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS' in the beginning of build() in PKGBUILD & recompile it...)
* it's quite stable (I use it since the very early days of 0.1something).
* mencoder is the fastest encoding tool for transcoding dvd's to divx (on my athlon 1800+ I get ~30 fps, while transcode gives only ~12-15...).
* it supports all the formats I've tried.

However I agree that it's quite far from the definition of user-friendly & its devs are not really helpful to newbies...

A final note : To non-tech & linux n00bs I suggest xine smile.

ps. BOFH="bastard operator from hell" big_smile.

#32 2003-12-05 16:58:48

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's funny how a lot of people associate xine with GUI.  I'm also not trying to start a flame war, just trying to inform.  I use both of them, whichever I decide to type in...

Xine works just fine from the command line.  The only thing I've found, and I'm sure it's something simple, is that the window doesn't automatically close when it's done playing.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#33 2003-12-06 03:43:38

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

zen_guerrilla wrote:

However I have some suggestions to make.
*) Upgrade kernel to 2.4.23...
*) Since it's desktop-oriented I'd suggest adding pppconfig...
*) Also consider adding mplayer...

Thanks for the suggestions.
- Main reasons for using a particular kernel in Live CD: (1) its based on Knoppix's kernel config (includes all major devices as modules), and (2) Win4Lin patch. No yet available for 2.4.23.
- Kppp (KDE's dialup) does a friendly configure. Moreover the miniroot image holds /etc and I try to avoid any additional files.
- Didn't include any player because many users have only one CD-ROM (or DVD) and its used by the Live CD.

zen_guerrilla wrote:

ps. I'm planning to create a livecd based on AL myself....

If you want a quick / easy way of developing the live CD, then copy /isolinux from the CD and only change the content in /system folder (the /rr_moved was created by mkisofs, don't copy). The content in /system is a copy from a running AL on Hard Disk.

<b>For your information</b> (also for others), when copying from one partition to another the files permission changes (in this case copying to /system). To maintain the original file permissions (UID, GID and Sticky), compress the content of partition and then untar to /system.

PS. When I developed Live CD 0.2.1 the file permissions didn't change in the copy process...  wondering what has changed??!!

Markku

#34 2003-12-06 13:15:16

zen_guerrilla

rasat wrote:

<b>For your information</b> (also for others), when copying from one partition to another the files permission changes (in this case copying to /system). To maintain the original file permissions (UID, GID and Sticky), compress the content of partition and then untar to /system.

...or simply use "cp -a" instead of "cp -r" smile.

(man cp for more info)

#35 2003-12-08 09:29:22

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I have received members interested in developing Live CDs or asked technical questions how to do.

I have setup one AL-AMLUG Project Logbook for this type of activity including for members who are interested to work on new or existing projects (AMLUG), a place for technical discussion and to learn by working together.
http://www.amlug.net/new-projects/forum/index.php

If someone wants to use or to know the content of AL-AMLUG Live CD, please be free to download.
ftp://ftp.bliss-solutions.org/live-cd/distfiles/
http://www.amlug.net/new-projects/forum … owtopic=32

Markku

#36 2004-01-07 18:00:06

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

blokkie_ wrote:

I thought everything was compressed in a cloop img....

Version 0.4 is now with compressed file system (zisofs) and uploaded. Its an 376MB iso (before 693MB) with few more packages, improved HD installer with network configure script, new fonts (ttf-ms-fonts)... looks good. Runs a bit faster and smoother.

Download (from bliss ftp if arch or biblio not ready):
http://amlug.net/new-projects/live-cd/a … ve-cd.html

Work & Check list:
http://www.amlug.net/new-projects/forum … owtopic=23

PS.
I improved the header of the Live CD's project page seeing there is now a link on Arch Linux home page. Thanks for the link.

Markku

#37 2004-01-07 19:00:25

nifan

you've been doing some pretty good work. keep up smile

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#38 2004-01-15 13:57:22

pcs333

looks pretty good and faster now,

problem is when i run through the harddrive install script i get to setting up partitions which it seems to do ok but then i get an error saying it cannot mount  somewhere (can`t remember  :oops: ) to copy the system across.
if i continue it goes through the motions but errors with cannot find specified file on each package.

dunno if this is a bug in the install or just me  :cry:

#39 2004-01-15 14:14:09

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

pcs333 wrote:

dunno if this is a bug in the install or just me  :cry:

So far I have got good comments about the HDD installer (hd-install). What I am aware, not been able yet to solve, the login is slow when running the CD content in HDD... also fam doesn't speed the login when repeatedly login and out, though all applications runs fast.

About your problem, when running hd-install, you must format the partition where you plan to install, with the selected filesystem when asked.

Markku

#40 2004-01-19 09:14:13

Legout

Hello everybody!

I installed AL from the Live-cd some days ago. And it works great! smile
One question. Where can i found the new fonts?

Thank you

#41 2004-01-20 10:05:49

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Legout wrote:

Where can i found the new fonts?

The fonts (ttf-ms-fonts) is integrated in the system. To change the over-all fonts size or type in KDE, run Control Center (<K><System><Control Center>) and select "Fonts" in one of the categories.

Markku

#42 2004-01-21 04:39:49

How do I change the refresh rate--useing live-cd, not installed on HD
Currently set to 60hz--ouch!, my eyes hurt.

#43 2004-01-23 10:11:42

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

acidblue wrote:

How do I change the refresh rate--useing live-cd,

To change the monitor rate and other configures in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, run "xf86cfg" with text mode in terminal (root):

# xf86cfg -textmode

Markku

#44 2004-01-23 16:49:24

Thanks....
I'll give it a try.

#45 2004-01-31 13:13:16

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

firai wrote:

I am just wondering if the winmodem capabilities of the net-install come from a certain pkg...if so, what is it?

There is no package for winmodem or other internal modems because the source of modem modules (drivers) has to be compiled / customized with the running kernel. If you don't use the Live CD's kernel (/system/boot/vmlinuz-hwd.w4l) and module structure (/lib/modules/2.4.22/), you need to compile the winmodem modules from source (ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz):
http://www.heby.de/ltmodem

Markku

#46 2004-02-15 04:58:48

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Version 0.4.2  is uploaded.
http://amlug.net/new-projects/live-cd/a … ve-cd.html

<b>WHAT's NEW:</b>
1. Packages upgrade: KDE-3.2, kernel-2.4.24, etc.
2. New packages: Mozilla (replaced Opera), Flash & Java plugin, Gftp, and Mplayer.
Package list: http://amlug.net/new-projects/live-cd/p … list-0.4.2

3. Bug fix: USB system, hd-install with X fonts cache, and lilo.conf for hd-install.

Markku

#47 2004-03-24 05:47:20

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

MrN wrote:

you really should change base filesystem.

Thanks. I will take a look at it.

Markku

#48 2004-03-26 12:14:45

trey

I just want to get some clarification on screen size.  How can I pass an option when I'm booting that I want to use 1280x1024 at 24-bit color?

Doesn't seem to have knoppix-like syntax for doing this. :?:  :?:

#49 2004-03-26 18:36:45

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

You have to configure /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Run in root:
# xf86cfg -textmode

Markku

#50 2004-04-29 09:35:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Something happened to AMLUG Project Logbook, the posts got locked in the database (should have used phpBB instead of IPB). I have temporally moved the live CD how-to to Arch Wiki (anyone who is interested can edit).
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bui … 0live%20CD

Markku

Board footer