You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-11 04:33:01

RobK

PCMCIA Networking Mystery - Help Please

I can get networking up an running when using the arch installation CD.  But I can't get it running after installation from arch.  It looks like the right modules are being loaded.

To get networking running after booting from the arch 0.7 installation CD, I just type the following:

#modprobe yenta_socket
#modprobe pcmcia
#modprobe 8139too
#dhcpcd

(modprobe also loads automatically the module "mii" so #lsmod only shows 4 modules)

Great.  During installation, I modified rc.conf so the line now reads:

eth0="dhcp"

When I boot into my new arch system from the hard disk, all seems to work okay but networkings FAILS.

I did a #lsmod.  The modules I need for networking all appear.  I tried "#ifconfig eth0 up" but arch complains that the resource is busy.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rob

#2 2005-12-11 15:27:47

RobK

Re: PCMCIA Networking Mystery - Help Please

Update.  I tried disabling the pcmcia and hotplug daemons in /etc/rc.conf.  Rebooted and then loaded the modules manually.  Then did a dhcpcd and ifconfig eth0 up.

Same problem.  When I do a ifconfig eth0 up, it complains that with the following:

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or Resource Busy.

Very Strange.  If I do exactly the same thing with the arch installation CD networking works.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  I do not know where to start.  Perhaps the kernel is different.

Rob

#3 2005-12-12 01:44:14

RobK

Re: PCMCIA Networking Mystery - Help Please

I finally got PCMCIA to work.  But it was a battle. 

My ethernet card DLINK DFE-690 TXD will NOT work with Arch 0.7.  (It does work when using the Arch 0.7  Installation CD but after installation, it does not work). 

I tried everything.  (e.g. disabling almost everything in rc.conf and the config scripts).  I even tried manually inserting the modules using modprobe. And then running dhcpcd.  But dhcpcd failed since the ethernet PCMCIA card was "BUSY". 

I found the BUG!  The problem is with the 2.6.10 kernel that the arch 0.7 CD installs.  In other words, the stock IDE or SCSI kernels that come with the 0.7 installation CD's are buggy.

I reinstalled arch usng FTP install.  (arch 0.7.1 is then installed with a newer kernel 2.6.13).  Arch 0.7.1 was able to properly detect and setup my PCMCIA card and get networking going. 

I did NOT enable the pcmcia or hotplug daemons in rc.conf.  You do NOT need to.  They automatically get set up in the loadng modules stage (where some auto detection is being done). 

So if anyone else is having problems, just use the FTP installation which installs arch 0.7.1 and a newer kernel 2.6.13.

Rob

Board footer