You are not logged in.

#3176 2013-05-22 08:49:25

marttt

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi there,
I'm Mart, an Estonian, and a writer/radio producer by trade. Looking back, I guess I've loved simplicity, functionality and a sort of minimalism ever since I was very young. About 2-3 years ago I started to think about creating "the perfect minimalist writing and sound editing environment". Beginning with Cygwin, MinGW, Emacs and Vim on an old WinXP laptop, I slowly evolved to a CrunchBang user and finally took the courage to start building my own system with Arch. (I had been a frequent Arch BBS reader for about a year beforehand, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, and I really liked the spirit of this community.)

I've often thought about how the "Linux way of thinking" might influence our more general thinking mechanisms (the logic based on which we see life around us). There's a very pleasant type of rationality bound to it, I'd say -- something that I definitely had missing when I was a WinXP user.

So, long story short, I'm hoping to learn a lot using Arch, and I would especially like to greet every single person who has ever contributed to the Arch Wiki. This is a truly excellent, brilliant resouce, many thanks! Cheers from Estonia!

Last edited by marttt (2013-05-22 09:52:14)

#3177 2013-05-24 13:00:32

ImpossibleDavid

Hello everyone!

Started as an Ubuntu user a few years back but became progressively irritated by its bloatiness.  I've also dabbled with PCLinuxOS, Lubuntu, Puppy Linux and Debian but found Slackware a bit too scary.  I'm old fashioned, and fondly remember that I used to be able to boot MSDOS and get into Wordperfect 5.1 on a 486 in a matter of seconds.  If I want to type a letter these days I'll go and make a coffee while Windows boots up.  Arch looks like a dream come true for me - old school start up times, no pointless frills and it starts at a command line. Joy!  Revived an old laptop with it and I'm amazed at how fast it goes.

Just wanted to say hi, and a huge thank you to the community for sharing their knowledge in the forums and the wiki.  I'm a very happy new Arch user big_smile

#3178 2013-05-25 16:59:54

vintrooper

Hello fellow 'Arch'ers,

I jumped onto the Linux bandwagon a couple of years ago to explore a world beyond Windows. Must say I learnt quite a few things while on Ubuntu & Mint but there was nothing really challenging. Arch Linux came up on my search radar quite a number of times when I googled  'minimal system'. I like the DIY approach in Arch. Dabbling with a few things everyday since i have installed it and I am quite impressed with its smooth functioning.

My old system still hangs up though just like on WIndows and I am 99% sure it is a hardware problem. Hope to fix it soon and look forward to learn conky and many other exciting things smile

#3179 2013-05-27 22:35:37

Ferdinand866

Hi everywere i am an old user of linux. My first soft i have was an potato Debian and now was trying Arch.
Seems to be great but who can tell ?

Last edited by Ferdinand866 (2013-05-27 22:36:56)

I have a hamradio license and know over Sail Boats too. My natural languaje is spanish.

#3180 2013-05-28 04:02:40

reinux

Hi all,

Came for the Haskell, stayed for the xmonad.

Please be gentle smile

#3181 2013-05-29 07:11:04

r3lay

Same others, started out on other distros and decided to build my own using arch. 
r3lay

#3182 2013-05-30 03:04:32

archfed

Hi,
I'm archfed. I used arch for a while and was fed up with it and then I moved to fedora and now I'm back at arch again.
I don't know how long I've been struggling with linux and learning linux. I love arch mostly because of its philosophy and the freedom the distro provides to the user. But there's one small thing.
I need to learn a lot of things about arch and linux before I can learn anything from it. I'm not afraid of the command line. I have broken my installations so many times and so often it's not even funny.
So what I hope to get out of the forum is to gain a deep knowledge of arch & linux in general. Maybe in the future I would love to contribute to the development of arch and the archwiki or who knows I just know linux is the place to be--if I allow myself the semantic barbarism of turning an os into a location which it sort of is. I spend most of my time in it.

I'm also struggling with programming. I've tried to teach myself a bit but it's proving extremely hard.

It would be nice if someone could point out articles of the wiki read or man pages or books or guides or articles that are helpful in an overall enrichment of my linux knowledge. Which is barely any. Any recommendations are welcome.
big_smile

Last edited by archfed (2013-05-30 03:05:32)

#3183 2013-05-30 04:03:45

sitquietly

archfed wrote:

I'm also struggling with programming. I've tried to teach myself a bit but it's proving extremely hard.

It would be nice if someone could point out articles of the wiki read or man pages or books or guides or articles that are helpful in an overall enrichment of my linux knowledge. Which is barely any. Any recommendations are welcome.

There are very helpful step-by-step programming courses at http://www.coursera.org/

For example, Systematic Program Design starts in a few days.  Just do as much as you can of it. It's free and no-pressure.  There have been several well-thought courses on programming using Python; Learn to Program:  The Fundamentals starts in Sept.

You could learn a lot about linux from the online book, Linux Sea

The key is to be patient.  Read lots.  Take some courses.  Don't get hung up on choosing a language, pick one and learn it.  Start with Bash, or Python, or whatever. 

All linux distros are wonderful.  All programming languages are beautiful.  You must train your mind to focus and think in a disciplined way.  Soon, you can do anything! big_smile

#3184 2013-05-30 05:32:49

thrabchak

Hi all,

I installed arch about a month ago and have really been enjoying the experience. Just going through the installation and configuration of my system has been an educational experience thus far. I'll be a college senior next fall and am really looking to get involved with some open source projects this summer. Hopefully I'm not getting myself in over my head. I figured this would be a good place to start. It's looking good so far smile

#3185 2013-05-30 16:22:14

archfed

Thanks big_smile
I will definitively take the coursera courses.

sitquietly wrote:
archfed wrote:

There are very helpful step-by-step programming courses at http://www.coursera.org/

For example, Systematic Program Design starts in a few days.  Just do as much as you can of it. It's free and no-pressure.  There have been several well-thought courses on programming using Python; Learn to Program:  The Fundamentals starts in Sept.

You could learn a lot about linux from the online book, Linux Sea

The key is to be patient.  Read lots.  Take some courses.  Don't get hung up on choosing a language, pick one and learn it.  Start with Bash, or Python, or whatever. 

All linux distros are wonderful.  All programming languages are beautiful.  You must train your mind to focus and think in a disciplined way.  Soon, you can do anything! big_smile

#3186 2013-05-31 15:06:49

ydrolake

Hi everybody,
I've just installed and tested the basic X system and now installing a desktop environment. I just wanted to say hello and congratulate all the people involved in mantaining the twiki. I found the documentation superb in every aspect. I can't comment on the distro itself yet but looks promising. I hope in the future to be able to contribute, with docs,  software or here in the forum.

Thanks!

#3187 2013-05-31 20:47:53

Cobra9891

Hello my new friends.
A few weeks ago I installed Ubuntu for the first time since 2006, which was the first time I tried Linux, but it only lasted a short while and I didn't really get into learning it. Using Ubuntu as my only OS since I installed it and spending a lot of time reading books focusing on learning Linux online has been pretty great, but it didn't take long before I sort of ran out of things to do in Ubuntu and I wanted a less bloated and simple distro, so here I am.
Last night I managed to install Arch in a VM and get it fully up and running with Openbox as my WM (I used bb4win on windows XP for years, feels great to be back to something similar). So far I've really been enjoying it, I love that it doesn't come with anything it doesn't absolutely need and I get to choose for myself what packages I actually want. Tomorrow I'm going to work on installing it to my HDD as my main OS. I think using a distro like this will really help me learn the inner workings of linux, hopefully I wont be a noob for too much longer.

I've also touched on programming a little bit in the past few weeks, but that hasn't been my focus (I started looking into python for my first language to learn, anybody have any reccomendations for something better to start with?). After I'm confidident in my skills on Linux that will become my new focus. I have taken a programming logic course in college a while ago and rocked it, so I doubt I'll have TOO much trouble picking up on programming, just need to put in the time to learn the syntax and commands.

My end goal here is to actually be able to contribute to the community in a meaningful way, even though I'm sure that will be decent ways into the future. In the mean time I probably won't post much at all and just lurk my ass off. I wasn't even planning on making an introductory post, but I just figured why not, right?

#3188 2013-05-31 22:45:32

Neuromatic

Good evening guys,

I'm not realy new at Arch Linux (October 2012). After I installed Arch Linux for the first time, I registred me on archlinux.de; and yesterday I thought: "Hey - go to the .org Section.".

Well, I do not know much more to tell. In this case:

Farewell, have a nice day smile

/* No Comment */

#3189 2013-06-01 13:27:56

j129008

printf("hello arch\n");

#3190 2013-06-01 14:09:13

dRaiser
Website

Hello. I'm software developer and I've been using Windows 7 + Cygwin for a long time, but with lack of custom option in Windows 8 I've decided it's time to move on for full Linux experience. For last year I was using Linux Mint - eventually came to a moment when I was using ArchWiki for most configuration stuff and I was irritated by old version of packages. So now I'm in Arch on my desktop and laptop - and I love it!

Last edited by dRaiser (2013-06-01 19:13:46)

#3191 2013-06-01 18:57:05

jrbalu

Hello smile I'm from India. My machine is a small handy one from HP. So I would like to use a light distro that would use the least of the resources but is strong enough to do anything that is possible with linux. After some googling, Arch topped the short list.

PS: While writing this, I'm still going through the installation procedure. So actually I registered here to get some help. Hope I can tame mighty Archie before tomorrow morning. wink

Have a nice day!

Last edited by jrbalu (2013-06-01 18:58:19)

Fear creates fetters, freedom gives you wings. - Osho

#3192 2013-06-02 12:58:48

Marv
Website

Hello everyone -  I was introduced to Arch by a long standing user of Arch last November.  I have gone through some intense periods of banging my head against a brick wall when trying to understand how the system works (metaphorically speaking) and I am happy that I have achieved 'some' level of competence.

I have refrained from posting any questions on the forum as I wanted to solve the issues that I am facing on my own.  But from now on as I have become more familiar with Arch (which is awesome) I will start to share my experience.

The person who introduced me to Arch is Abigail -  so THANKS Abigail!!!!

#3193 2013-06-02 19:19:50

subraizada3

Hello world!
I just started using Arch a few days ago, after I seriously messed up my Ubuntu install for the 9999999th time in a few years (I've also used Mint and a bit of Fedora).
I haven't gotten Arch installed yet as I'm having some problems with pacman and package signing, and nouveau is spitting text all over the ttys, but I'm sure I can get a solution from the forums.

#3194 2013-06-03 06:01:24

playenball

Hello Arch World!

I just started using Arch about a week ago. I have used linux for a little over a year. Started on Ubuntu, tried a bunch of *buntu derivatives including mint, OpenSUSE and now Arch. The wiki is amazing. I've learned a lot just reading the wiki for install and the few hiccups I have had along the way. I'm loving the fact of how slim and fast my install is. I love that the packages are vanilla. Just loving Arch and looking forward to learning more about the system.

#3195 2013-06-03 15:43:42

OlaffTheGreat

Here I am, to cross the Arch ! ~Bewaaare !~
Ok ! I couldn't resist this one !

I come from Debian for 5 years. I am not the techie expert type, nor even strongly passionate with computer sciences as many as you guys, but already learnt a few tips.
However I've been told the wonder and challenge was Arch. If I am not that confident about my skills, I enjoy challenges.
So I'm going to install Arch on a SSD I have been given to, if I can optimise my system, it's for the best !

A great thanks and respect for this strong community, and the quality of your work (as I always mention the quality of the Arch Wiki).

So let dive into it ! Fight !

Lenovo Thinkpad x230 i5-3320M 2.6GHz 250GB SSD (M4) 16GB
SSD | SeaBIOS | GPT | BTRFS | OpenRC | Xfce4 | Zsh | Tmux | Spacemacs
* "Aware Newbie" *
Ibus IM for language script support (e.g. 日本語 - 中文)

#3196 2013-06-05 05:04:46

alpha123

I'm fairly new to Arch (I waited a few months before joining the forums) but already love it. I had a slightly broken laptop that nobody else in my family was using, so I decided to try Arch on it and it's so much faster and easier to use for coding than my Windows desktop. I love the fact that I can customize it so much (I'm one of those tweak-everything-just-right people) but I also prefer a nice base set of sane defaults that I can build on. Arch really delivers here. smile
We have another Ubuntu laptop, but I don't use it very often. I appreciate the fact that Canonical managed to make a distro that even my parents could use though. tongue

This forum has been very helpful thus far, mega-thanks to the community!

#3197 2013-06-05 05:54:30

frankenmichl

I think I'm new to Arch in some way, although I'm using it for quite a while now. After a lot of Distro-Hopping in the past it seems like I found my home with Arch Linux, after using SuSE, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu - nothing felt doing things the right way (except Gentoo, but all this compiling and compiler-issues drove me nuts in the long term).
As I've read a lot in theis forum, I got myself an account here and now try to help out when I can.

For my info, I'm a software developer, mostly C/C++ for Linux, and I'm quite familiar with Linux systems as a whole, know a little shell scripting and stuff.

Fact is, Arch really has the best documentation out there, and obviously a great community.

#3198 2013-06-05 06:29:25

DJMankiewicz
Website

Hello! I'm a total Linux newbie, and I'm not counting my time spent using the distro that came with my Eee 900A, which I recently put Arch on after it being out of service for almost three years. I'd like to consider myself 'tech savvy' but my under the hood experience is nil beyond a CSC 110 class where I was introduced to python. Getting Arch on here was an interesting challenge, and I'll try not to ask too many silly questions during my stay!

CHECK OUT MY RAD WEBSITE
Currently running Arch on my Eee 900A
(Hopefully to be dual booting on my Acer laptop soon as well, and maybe will wipe and put it on my derelict desktop?)

#3199 2013-06-05 10:17:11

Light_Yagami

Hello, I have been using Arch for two months and discovered this is the most coherent distro I have ever used. I like it because is simpler than Ubuntu, Arch is that you make it.
Actually I'm installing software in Gentoo and everything goes slow. I think Gentoo is not a serious distro, in ten minutes I got Arch as a Gentoo, the difference is little in performance but I need test more Gentoo.
Ubuntu minimal install is very good, as fast as Arch, but I prefer how all works with Arch.
English is not my native language so be patient, if you can be patient install Gentoo, dont forget yoga and/or meditation in the process.

I'm a student that the next year will attend University, I think the world is rotten and it could be better.

We're fighting for our own wishes.
It's normal not to get noticed or remembered.
Linux User #550818

#3200 2013-06-05 17:16:11

WonderWoofy

Light_Yagami wrote:

Hello, I have been using Arch for two months and discovered this is the most coherent distro I have ever used. I like it because is simpler than Ubuntu, Arch is that you make it.
Actually I'm installing software in Gentoo and everything goes slow. I think Gentoo is not a serious distro, in ten minutes I got Arch as a Gentoo, the difference is little in performance but I need test more Gentoo.
Ubuntu minimal install is very good, as fast as Arch, but I prefer how all works with Arch.
English is not my native language so be patient, if you can be patient install Gentoo, dont forget yoga and/or meditation in the process.

I'm a student that the next year will attend University, I think the world is rotten and it could be better.

I do not think you should just the "seriousness" of a distribution by how fast the installation process is. Gentoo is a source based distribution, so of course installing software is going to be slower... I think you are kind of missing the point of Gentoo.  Gentoo is indeed a very "serious distro" with a community that is possibly more Linux savvy than you will find around here.  If you think "Arch is (what?) you make it" then you haven't wrapped your head around compilation and USE flags.

Board footer