You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-02 22:30:07

javex

Module nvram not loading automatically: X can not start

Since as of today my X would not start anymore and complain about NVIDIA with "Failed to initialize NVIDIA kernel module".  I have searched the kernel log but could not find anything related to NVIDIA that indicated a problem. After search with Google, on the Wiki and on the forum, I did not find anything. Finally, I just looked at the available modules starting with "nv" and since "nvidia" itself was loaded I just tried my luck with

modprobe nvram

Afterwards, my X could start again and so I added this nvram to a file in "modules-load.d/". So now everything works fine again, but I have to wonder: How did this happen? Is "nvram" new? Or is there some dependency missing?

Sidenote: I am not using a GForce card:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 841f
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

#2 2013-06-03 00:06:48

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Module nvram not loading automatically: X can not start

nvram has nothing to do with nvidia (or graphics, even). The NV is short for "non-volatile".

javex wrote:

Sidenote: I am not using a GForce card:

Uhhh no but it's still an nvidia card...

#3 2013-06-03 14:25:58

javex

Re: Module nvram not loading automatically: X can not start

falconindy wrote:

nvram has nothing to do with nvidia (or graphics, even). The NV is short for "non-volatile".

Okay, I did not know that. I just assumed since nvidia had a problem and loading nvram fixed it, that nv stood for nvidia. So what's the deal here? Why does this problem exist?

falconindy wrote:

Uhhh no but it's still an nvidia card...

Yes, I know that. I just thought it might be relevant, as this card is not very common and that might cause an issue.

Board footer