You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-02 12:07:40

dangermouse

Snapper fails to run

Hi all, am experimenting with btrfs on my root and am liking it so far. Had heard of the excellent snapper tool for creating btrfs snapshots which someone has been good enough to port over to Arch:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=56271

It seems to install ok. Have configured as per instructions. Only problem is when I try and run the command I get the following output:

sudo snapper list-configs

Failure (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed).

Does anyone have any idea as to what the error means and/or how I might be able to fix?

Many thanks.

Last edited by dangermouse (2013-06-02 12:09:24)

#2 2013-06-02 21:40:37

dangermouse

Re: Snapper fails to run

Many thanks to Waynelloyd for posting a solution to the dbus error:

For all those getting a dbus error executing snapper it seems the path to snapperd is pointing to the wrong directory as a workaround you can edit the path to snapperd in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.opensuse.Snapper.service from /usr/sbin/snapperd to /usr/bin/snapperd

This at least allows me to run e.g.

$ snapper list
Type   | # | Pre # | Date | User | Cleanup | Description | Userdata
-------+---+-------+------+------+---------+-------------+---------
single | 0 |       |      | root |         | current     |         

Although strangely, now I get an IO Error when I try and create a snapshot.

$ snapper create
IO Error.

Any ideas?

Last edited by dangermouse (2013-06-02 23:04:03)

#3 2013-06-02 23:30:33

arokh

Same here, haven't had time to dig into what's going on.

#4 2013-06-03 16:21:12

dangermouse

arokh wrote:

Same here, haven't had time to dig into what's going on.

Thanks arokh. I've been trying to figure out what's wrong, but no luck so far. Any suggestions much appreciated!

#5 2013-06-03 19:15:44

arokh

The problem is /.snapshots needs to be a subvolume. In the previous INSTALL file for the package it said just create it as directory but that was wrong.

Once I finally got it up and running it's less impressive though. Probably cool with YaST integration and all, but I'm abandoning it in favor of a self made snapshotting script.

#6 2013-06-03 19:52:06

dangermouse

arokh wrote:

The problem is /.snapshots needs to be a subvolume. In the previous INSTALL file for the package it said just create it as directory but that was wrong.

Once I finally got it up and running it's less impressive though. Probably cool with YaST integration and all, but I'm abandoning it in favor of a self made snapshotting script.

Hi thanks a lot arokh! That would make sense since by making ./snapshots a subvolume it prevents infinite recursion (subvolumes are automatically excluded from snapshots).

I've just checked on my OpenSUSE 12.3 install (where snapper/btrfs is working out of the box) and  ./snapshots is indeed a subvolume.

It's a shame you didn't find snapper all that impressive once you got it working. Yeah I guess a lot of the power comes from the YaST integration. If only I could get the best of Arch and OpenSUSE I'd have the ideal distro!

Board footer