You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-23 20:27:15

adramalech

Problem with new Nvidia Optimus support on Kernel 3.9.3

Okay so I have all the setup ready for trying out the new Nvidia driver support of switchable graphics, without bumblebee. 

I have kernel 3.9.3-1-ARCH, Nvidia 319.17-2 (with all deps.), Xorg-server 1.14.1 (with all deps.), and have the config file setup like at http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L … ndr14.html

However I keep getting the Inactive "intel" in ServerLayout to crash my Xorg-server.  In the log it says "undefined device "intel" referenced by ServerLayout "layout".  (EE) Error parsing config file. ...  error:  No screens found"

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

The hardware is a Sandy Bridge HD 3000, and a Nvidia GT 540m on a Alienware M11x R3.

**EDIT**

Okay so I get passed the going straight to console with an error..  When I uncomment the "Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"" in the Nvidia screen setup I at least get the black screen, however then it eats my Screen1 saying no good configuration. 

I also have:  xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0   and xrandr --auto  right before my exec gnome-session-cinnamon line in ~/.xinitrc... however still doesn't work..  Has anybody got to at least the login screen or too the desktop??  It seems that either I will have to wait until Nvidia gives us a better driver or until xorg gets a patch to fix the screen getting eaten before it gets a chance to work..

Last edited by adramalech (2013-05-24 05:45:29)

#2 2013-06-04 13:30:15

themax

Re: Problem with new Nvidia Optimus support on Kernel 3.9.3

did you install xf86-video-modesetting?
is the nvidia card powered on when you startx?

sudo tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<< ON

I did get it to work using NVIDIA's manual but it works a bit more reliable if you use the intel driver.
Replace "modesetting" with "intel" but mind the capital "I" in

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource Intel NVIDIA-0

by the way, bumblebee "provides" nvidia-libgl. If you have bumblebee installed, you won't get 3D acceleration this way.

#3 2013-06-05 04:25:38

adramalech

Okay so I checked and I have extra/xf86-video-modesetting installed with version 0.7.0-1.

I have also found that NVIDIA driver does load and gets DFP-0 as LVDS1.  DFP-1 as HDMI, and DFP-2 as DisplayPort...  It then says Screen found and then errors out to command line because no usable configuration.  I did notice that this is what I was doing with the screen.

Monitor "

Okay I have in my .xinitrc:  xrandr --setprovideroutputsource Intel NVIDIA-0 followed by xrandr --auto

It keeps fricken going to 640x480... something about the screen not being correct.... like this is my Monitor, and the two display sections...  When I go into the nvidia settings when i get the 640x480 it says the Nvidia driver isn't work, I look in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it shows the Intel card being loaded and not the Nvidia card....  However when the xorg server crashing I see the Nvidia card trying to be loaded...

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Intel"
     Driver         "intel"

Monitor       "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth   24

SubSection  "Display"
           Depth     24
           Modes      "1366x768_60.00"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier      "nvidia"
     Device        "nvidia"
     Monitor       "Monitor 0"
     DefaultDepth   24

SubSection  "Display"
           Depth     24
           Modes      "1366x768_60.00"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier          "Monitor0"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
     VertReferesh   43.0 - 72.0
     Option            "DPMS"  "true"
EndSection

The devices are the same as in the guide... except I have AccelMethod "sna" on intel, and ahve the BusID for both the intel and the nvidia card....

**EDIT**

I just updated to xf86-video-modesetting 0.8.0-1 maybe that will work better will give it a try...

Last edited by adramalech (2013-06-12 22:57:07)

#4 2013-07-09 11:39:27

evolved
Website

I got moderate success using the new xrandr / optimus settings using lxde with the following configuration:

hw: MSI GE60 0NC, GTX 660M

I have the following in xorg.conf.d/99-nvidia-beta-driver.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x3322; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
    Option "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"    
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "intel"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
    	Modes "1920x1080"
    	Depth 24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "nvidia"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Virtual     1920 1080
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

My ~/.xinitrc has

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto
nvidia-settings --load-config-only -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2
exec startlxde

My kernel command line contains:

i915.modeset=1 vga=current video=inteldrmfb

It definitely accelerates opengl apps using the 660M, I see a massive performance boost following this configuration.
Unfortunately, I have some issues where the display 'hangs' and stops painting - if i switch to a different vterm and come back to the X vterm the display starts working again.
I'm not sure if this is because the driver is 'beta' or because I have not configured everything correctly.

I have tried to start cinnamon using this configuration and it failed - again I'm not sure if thats user error or technical limitations outside my control.

I hope this helps someone, and if anyone knows how to get this working in cinnamon I'm quite interested.

Board footer